A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

141 to 160 of 16,079 messages
18/08/2008 at 20:17
Bola Zudd wrote (see)
I had a 8mile run planned yesterday, but only managed 7and a half because I just ran out of juice. My legs felt heavy and I just felt too tired - it was quite hot too! Should I be thinking about taking on board something other than water now as my time long run is around an hour and a half? Does anybody else use bars/gels in their run?

If I know I'm going to be out for more than an hour I take a sports drink.  I use the Go range from SIS as it contains electrolytes as well as carbs, and as I'm a real sweaty betty I need to maintain my salt balance
At the moment I use a 'donut' bottle, but I'm thinking of getting a bladder belt as I find carrying the bottle unbalances me
18/08/2008 at 20:26

I think there is some sort of running god that puts you in your place. As soon as you think you have achieved a milestone and start believing you are doing better you go out and have a nightmare.

I ran over 9 miles in 90 mins on Sunday felt ok and more optimistic for my half in October.

Went out today admitedly started nights last night and feel sh**e and had a bad ear which is causing ringing and a feeling of wanting to decapitate myself but all excuses aside.

21 mins and even without my brain having anything to do with it my legs just decided to stop.

That's put me back in my place.

18/08/2008 at 20:33

You had a good run on Sunday though - 10minute mile at that distance! It's no wonder you felt tired today!

Have a rest day and I'm sure you'll be back on form

Am going to try a sports drink on Sunday with my long run, thanks for the advice x

18/08/2008 at 20:39

Wish I had taken my own advice this was the first time in ages i didn't bring a drink and missed it. Was really thirtsy.

18/08/2008 at 21:53
10 min miles for nine miles! that is v impressive - i can't maintain that speed for half a mile!
18/08/2008 at 22:22

susie b - dont give yourself a hard-time (why do i feel i should listen to my own advice!)

i only did 10k yesterday and seriously suffered today.....i dont know from a high you get thrown down......perhaps bola is right with a rest day. x

18/08/2008 at 22:23

Your not too far off that speed with your 10k speed.

18/08/2008 at 22:35

Last post was for plod.

Thanks Beanie your right it's exactly what I would say to everyone else.

19/08/2008 at 13:20

Thought I'd come and bore you all with my fantasy training programme in preparation for my first half mara in November. It's purely a fantasy and will prob never happen but hey - a girl's gotta dream...

Monday: rest

Tuesday: run to or from work (6 miles)

Wednesday: lunchtime 30mins spin class

Thursday: run to or from work (6 miles)

Friday: 30 mins lunchtime on the tready - intervals/going faster etc

Saturday: rest

Sunday: long slow run (but they're all slow i hear you cry!). Currently can do 13k - building this up by 1k a week.

And if manage to follow this programme and I'm still not rock hard and a size 10 at the end of it I'm giving up running goddammit.

19/08/2008 at 17:08

it's good to have a plan plod.

Something that has been on my mind thought I would share with you all.

The reason I took up running was because the idea of just putting on your trainers and going was cheap didn't take much time and no hassle getting to the gym etc. Just get out there and run.

As you start setting goals it seems to take longer and longer to get ready. First set the garmin or other gadget HRM if you have one. Tape up the blister spots. Just bought an Ipod arm band came in the post today.

Prepare drink. and  because i run alone I got one of those road id's. So now it's not as quick as it once was getting out the door. Also because of previous injury I am now going to pilates/yoga 3 times a week for stretching  and not saving on the gym either.

Don't get me wrong not complaining but from doing something that was not supposed to take up much time it hasn't worked out that way. When I am not running find myself admiring all the expensive running gear in the shops.

Oh yes and also on the forum also.

Just off to the gym now for yoga.

19/08/2008 at 18:56

You both put me to shame - I barely manage 3x per week!

Went for my 'fartlek' today - have just discovered that I have one good and one bad leg! My right leg is strong and even when I'm tired I can still raise it and plod on. My left leg is like its poor cousin - I can't get it moving and it feels heavy when i try to add any speed  This explains why my right knee has had a few problems!

Anyone got any suggestions? I might start a thread on this and get some ideas.

19/08/2008 at 19:05
plodmonster wrote (see)

And if manage to follow this programme and I'm still not rock hard and a size 10 at the end of it I'm giving up running goddammit.

I'm with you! lol

susie po wrote (see)

because i run alone I got one of those road id's.

That sounds a good idea, where can I get one of those from?
19/08/2008 at 19:44

Bola 

Not sure exactly what you mean about one good leg and one bad can you explain it more.

Road Id I just heard of it on another thread and found it in google. I got it from the states and cost £11.00 it has a metal disk and you can put what you want on it.

19/08/2008 at 20:01

Hi Susie,

I just started a thread ('Dodgy leg') in Health and Injury...

Basically, since I started to add speed to my training, I'm noticing that my right leg is quite strong, but my left tires easily. I know it sounds strange but I can lift my right knee to pick up speed and add a few longer strides, but my left won't follow suit. Almost feels like its barely leaving the ground??

Sounds odd doesn't it and I've never actually noticed it before - until the last few speed sessions! I know I've always led with my right and it must take the strain because its always my right knee that I have problems with. Any thoughts?

19/08/2008 at 20:10

Have you had your gait checked? Maybe your legs are uneven, I have read  on other threads about visiting a podiatrist and getting inserts for your shoes but I am not really sure. Hopefully the new thread will help you.

19/08/2008 at 20:36

oh dear. i feel like a fraud on this site today. instead of my scheduled run i'm eating ice cream out the tub with a glass of wine.... so much for the fantasy running schedule!

19/08/2008 at 20:39

It's nice to have a day off and indulge.

prefer big bag of crisps with my wine though.

have you run to or from work then or does the new plan start tomorrow?

19/08/2008 at 20:49
okay guys - really thick what is a road id - and what does it do......i am not saying i am gadget mad but i like it and i dont even know what it is!!!!!
19/08/2008 at 22:21

It is just an arm band with your details on contact phone number DOB blood group any details you want really. "Google it"

20/08/2008 at 09:44

i appear to have accidentally bought a garmin.

the cheapo one though - not teh super super one.

oops

141 to 160 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.