a thread for all new runners who're doing VLM 2013.

21 to 40 of 140 messages
10/11/2012 at 20:57
Hello everyone just checking in to revive the thread. Hope your pre-training training is going well.

I have a slight injury - bit odd - pain in the back of my knee. I wore my Skins tights last weekend for 7 miler and I'm tall so they're a bit short and after about 4-5 miles just felt a pain like they were digging in too much cos the compression is slightly out of kilter with the length of my legs! Tried a short run on Tuesday was ok at first but pain started again after about a mile. So now enforced rest until there is not so much as a twinge

My daughter (nearly 14) wore the offending Skins for parkrun this morning and they fit her perfectly ... grr ...
21/11/2012 at 20:35

Hi everyone i have got a place in VLM first time and the longest race run ive done is 10km in an hour so a jogger not a runner, At the minute im working on getting my distance up and run 3 times a week 2x 3or 4 mile   and longest run to date 6 3/4 mile and i really felt it.  plan on doing 7m this weekend and just keep slowly increasing over the next few months  i have no plan to follow just looked at a few different ones but couldnt decide on one. do compression socks help and how. i have a rodolf run in a couple of weeks 5m,and have entered a half marathon takes place 3 weeks before vlm if i cant do that im buggered.

28/11/2012 at 15:11

Room for a little one? It's cold outside and I could do with some motivation. There's only one thing worse than dark nights and thats cold and wet, dark nights.

Well, I too am foolish enough to be attempting VLM2013. Its my first try at the distance and I really can't wait. I got in first time on a ballot place (wooo hooo!) but have decided it would be a real motivator to raise money for a charity. I'm running for Stand Against Violence, a charity that works with teenagers and young offenders, trying to show them that violence solves nothing. I lost my elder brother 10 years ago to a violent nightclub attack, so needless to say that it is a cause very dear to my heart.

Anyhow, enough of the maudlin'. How excited am I? The training 'proper' is on hold till 16 weeks from race day, (New Years Eve, who plans these things!), but i run socially with a club twice a week and have completed four halfs this year. Really can't wait to line up and go for it. I know that I will be a gibbering wreck at the end of it, both physically and emotionally, but it is something that I just have to do.

Best of luck to everyone and I look forward to sharing our progress over the next five months or so. Go get em guys!

28/11/2012 at 15:42

Hi all

Great that there's a thread for VLM newbies.

My background;

I've a Charity place in the VLM 2013 too, I've only been running this year and completed 3 half marathons in the last 3 months after only having run a 10K before. Best HM time is now 1.50 and hoping for a sub 4 hour VLM  which is ambitious, but I'm told achieveble (we'll see).

I'm currently trying to find a decent running plan and it looks like I'm going to use a RW 4 hour plan downloaded to my Garmin, with a few mods in line with the Shades plan.

If it sounds like I know what I'm on about, its a ruse - its all new and I'm keen to learn as much as possible.

I'm running the 8 mile GRIM this weekend more for fun :eek: than anything, but its all good base training.

I've been trying to sort out nutrition, hydration, clothing, gadgets, shoes etc etc - its a minefield.

Tim

03/12/2012 at 11:43

morning all.

sorry i've been away and not tending the hot beverage needs of my guests.

good to see lots of brave souls doing a marathon for the first time. best get a bigger kettle and some more biscuits i think.

i ran my first 1/2 2 weeks ago. i was aiming for around 1:50 but managed to pull a 1:45 out of the bag from somewhere. so i was well chuffed.

yesterday's run was the first since where i haven't felt completely shattered after only a couple of km though. it did worry me a bit. i thuoght i might have overdone it on the 1/2 and hurt myself, but after asking the wise people on here and doing a little reading, it seems that this is perfectly normal.

so, newbie advice of the day is:

when you do a big race and put in understandably more effort than on your usual training runs, you can expect to take a day a mile to recover. so as i found, 2 weeks for a 1/2. before this you can expect to feel quite fatigued during runs. apparently after giving yourself a few days for your legs and feet to recover a bit you should get back out and do GENTLE short runs, gradually getting back to full training pace.

it's taken me two weeks but i'm now back to running 10km comfortably in about 50min.

as for the race itself, it was a local race, doing a loop between villages. the weather was cold but beautifully clear and the views across misty fields were really quite lovely. i was on 1:50 pace for the first 10 miles but ended up pumping in a few 6 minute miles at the end and crossed the line in 1:45. this felt like my first "big" race, having done a few 10kms (45min PB) and i was quite surprised how emotional i felt afterwards.

to all of you who have yet to do a 1/2, good luck. it is a long way, but success really makes you feel that you're getting within grasping distance of the BIG ONE.

carry on talking amongst yourselves. i'm off out to buy some ginger hobnobs.

03/12/2012 at 12:43

Nice work, the 6min / mile at the end is very good, but maybe that's why you've felt it since

I ran the GRIM at the weekend, enjoyed it, but it was colder and tougher than I thought. Not sure it can be a proper part of VLM training, but it was fun all the same.

So I've now run 3 HMs and the GRIM in the last 4 months and its now time to put in some Long Slow Runs to get the Endurance sorted. 

My 3 HMs were the first races I'd done (apart from a local charirty 10K in 2011) and they went 2.11, 2.01, 1.50 , so my pace / performance is improving. I did the GRIM in 1.20, but feel this is more for fun and training and difficult to balance against normal distance running / training. 

So hopefully I have the pace for a sub-4 marathon (traffic allowing) and need the endurance to see me past the 20 mile barrier with energy to get all the way through.

I'm skiing over Xmas, so just looking to ramp up the mileage for December, then follow a formal 16 week plan starting after Xmas. - anyone else doing similar?

So, some LSRs for me, got to learn to run slower at this stage in order to go faster in April :eek:. Aiming for a 15 miler or so tomorrow at 9.30-10.00 min / mile - will get the IPOD primed

Tim

03/12/2012 at 14:27

Hi Tim. I too am doing the 16 week plan after chrimbo. The one from the lucozade training site I think. I'm hoping for a sub 4hr myself, maybe even 3:45, but we'll wait and see how it goes. I was going to take it easy in December but I'm beginning to think that may be a mistake.

What is everyone else doing? Lazy December or starting to crank up the miles. I'm also jumping on the wagon after Xmas untill after VLM. Commitment or what!?

03/12/2012 at 14:40

From all I've read on here and elsewhere, it points towards building long runs early in the schedule (and it's not so early now its December) to build endurance and limit the chances of injury once the mileage / activity builds up with 16 weeks to go.

It's longer mileage and not fast pace that's needed in the bank at this stage as I understand it.

As for the wagon, save me a space, its only 4 months !!!

Tim 

03/12/2012 at 16:26
Hi folks

Well I sort of started my training plan yesterday with an 8 miles long run which coincides with the Hal Higdon plan i want to use. Otherwise I'd just drift along forever then panic! I'm using a 18 week plan and want a few extra weeks in case of emergencies/illness or just want to repeat the odd week. I actually had a really comfortable run which was good especially as I'd been partying half the night at a family wedding

Sofaboy well done on your HM time that's a mighty effort and you must be well pleased with yourself. I too was knackered for ages after my half in Oct, think it's mental fatigue as well. More experience of racing should help and I'm dying to do another half and make a better job of it lol

When do people run? I can run afternoons as I work part time but it doesn't half cut into my free time when I need to do everything else family and children related. So I'm considering the morning/evening-with-a-head-torch option as I do all my running in Richmond Park in London and it is traffic free and unlit after dark. Hate running on pavement it plays havoc with my old knees!

I went to The Running Show at Sandown last week, sat in on a couple of seminars and obtained handfuls of freebie gels, energy bars etc. the marathon talker recommended basically LSRs of 2 hours Jan, 3 hours Feb and 4 hours March. Seems like a nice straightforward guideline to go by.
04/12/2012 at 09:10

morning all.

good to see so many people making plans for their 16-18 week trainig schedule. i'll be hitting one of those in the new year myself.

@rattler: wish i was skiing over xmas, but we've got a small chap who's too young. and he's pretty much eaten up any ski funds there might have been anyway. where are you going? good improvement on those 1/2 times BTW.

@stilts: i run partly in the evening after work, or i duck out for an hour or so during the day if i'm working from home. then the big one is on sundays.

so what are peoples "happy with", "aiming for" and "chuffed to bits" times for the biggy in april? mine are 4:30, anything sub 4 and 3:45.

04/12/2012 at 10:40

Morning.

When does everyones training start?

I start mine on the 31st Dec.

Sofaboy, I would love to get a 4.30 but as I am carrying a giant teddy, I suppose just to get round would be good.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/479335/gallery/trev_and_me.jpg?width=350

04/12/2012 at 12:52

mine started in june. although that was coming from not having run for 20 years and wanting to make a good show of it.

04/12/2012 at 14:04

Are you planning on doing a few races inbetween or are you just going for the Biggie.

04/12/2012 at 14:24

i've done a race a month since july but don't have any booked in now until the silverstone 1/2 in march.

04/12/2012 at 14:37

I wont be doing many before but would like to get a couple in. We have a 20 miler not long before that I would like to do.

04/12/2012 at 23:28

I've got a couple more HMs planned in the new year - Portsmouth in Feb and Reading in March - for me I need targets to try to keep focussed on my training and these will serve well as measures of where my training is at.

@sofaboy, I'm taking my 2 young sons with me skiing, they're 5 and 6 - it could all go horribly wrong though - just need to avoid injuries.

I'm still working out which plan to follow for the last 16 weeks. There are many around and I'm likely to go the RW sub 4 plan as this is downloaded to my Garmin. My work tales me away a bit, so I need some flexibility of program. The simpler this can be the better I feel. Maybe a weekly program of 2 x 4-6 milers, 1 x 6-10 miler, and 1 x LSR on a Sunday increasing from 14 - 22(ish)  miles across the 16 weeks (half mile increase per week)...

I've gotta get used to getting up early again for the Sunday LSRs , that might be a greater challenge than the sub - 4hr  ;O

I'd hope for a 4 hr, it's an aggressive target and I'll likely need to get my HM time down to sub 1.45 and know I've done lots of LSRs to ensure I have te endurance to make sub 9 min miles for all 26.2 of 'em

@eckytump - what time is the teddy aiming for ???  

04/12/2012 at 23:30

Oh and I forgot to add that I'll need some X-training sessions in there each week too, likely rowing or cycling in the gym...

05/12/2012 at 07:55

that sounds like a good plan. i haven't really had a chance to take a proper look at them yet. i think i'll be on a sub 4 one as well.

my x training is squash once a week. great fun.

do i go running in the snow this morning? it will be a bit chillsome but the fields will be looking super pretty. hmmm....

05/12/2012 at 08:54

Rattler, I reckon Teddy could do a sub 4 with the right training   Oh and he's called Trev

I will make sure I get some speed sessions in at the track just to boost my enurance. I am not the fastest of runners but know that I will need to be fitter than usual to get round with Trev. He's only 7lb in weight but he is an awkward shape.

Sofaboy, Im so jealous as we dont have snow yet. My kids are not impressed

05/12/2012 at 08:58

i think a gentle 15km finishing in time for a nice hot cuppa and a couple of digestives for dunking at 11 o'clock.

21 to 40 of 140 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.