a thread for all new runners who're doing VLM 2013.

41 to 60 of 140 messages
05/12/2012 at 09:01

Sounds good Sofaboy, spesh the cuppa and biccies.

05/12/2012 at 09:12

i think i'm going to need them. i was out last night and it was absolutely brass monkeys. i was quite surprised to see the snow this morning though as it was a beautifully starry night.

i think i might have to stop off in the village on the way back and pick myself up a pie from the bakers for lunch. hmmm, pie and beans.....

05/12/2012 at 12:29

chilly now. although i did buy a nice belgian bun for afters to go with my pie.

looking forward to a nice hot carby lunch soon.

05/12/2012 at 14:04

Mmmmmm, That sounds lovely Sofaboy. I love pies but they dont love me

09/12/2012 at 01:40

Hi people.

New to this forum and new to running. I hope you don't mind but I brought raspberry cheesecake to go with the tea!

So, I've signed up for the VLM2013 with St John's Ambulance. Got rejected via the public ballot and then harrassed SJA till they gave me a place.  I'm a trained SJA first aider (although I really do need to refresh and practice my bandaging skills) and in Islam we're told that saving one life is equivalent to saving all of humanity - hence SJA was the option for me. If I survive VLM2013 I'll consider running for another charity close to my heart; or rather my lungs - I'm an asthmatic.

Not 100% sure why I'm doing this as I don't even like running. Having said that I went running in the rain a few weeks back and really enjoyed it. I love being out in the elements, feeling the wind and rain. It's quite exhilarating.  To be honest though, I only applied for it to get one up on my boss in our war of machismo and now he's backed out and I'm contractually obliged to train for and run a marathon.  Wonder who won the battle of wits on that one. Blah. To further complicate things I'm going to sign up for the Ironman 70.3 in Wimbleball in June. Not a keen swimmer either, although I do love cycling. Again, it's my ego telling me I've got to prove how tough and amazing I am.  I also love kebabs and cakes so it won't surprise you to learn that my body and my ego aren't the best of friends.

Have sort of started training by doing a few runs in my local park on top of the daily cycling I do to and from work and college. I'm wondering how to measure and record my distances. I've got a Blackberry phone which is too heavy to carry around in my pockets when running around. Do you reckon I should just buy a sportswatch and manually record my times on a chart?

10/12/2012 at 09:19

morning all.

don't push it too hard Kamal, an Ironman 2 months after your first marathon sounds a bit mental.

two quick personal experiences for you:

first up is my mate who's also a first time VLMer next year. we started off all competetive but he went in way too hard. he upped his distances too quickly and ended up breaking his leg during the run in the park 1/2 in september. he won't be running again until the new year and might struggle to even do the marathon now.

secondly, i play squash with a guy who's ex-army and a seasoned triathlete. he did his first ironman this summer after a year of pretty intensive training and he was seriously hurting by the end. he's also signed up for the wimbleball IM next summer and he's a tad worried about it. apparently the bike course is a real man killer.

i don't want to pop your balloon but at the same time, i'd hate to see someone injure themselves trying to do too much.

as far as recording runs goes, i use a run tracker on my smartphone which does it iall automatically. you can use a sports watch to record your times and use the website of any of the run trackers to plot a course so you know how far you're runnning. you can then enter times manually after each run to keep a record. it won't be able to tell you stuff like split times, max speed and all that stuff but at least you'll know who far you're going. and when you're starting out that's the most important thing.

alternatively, buy a wrist GPS which will tell you how far you've run, times, heart rate etc.

14/12/2012 at 13:52

been thinking about training plans for the new year and just put up a thread in the training section asking for advice.

people might like to take a look once it's got some replies if they're as undecided as me.

14/12/2012 at 14:29
I've been looking at plans for a while and have decided on Shades plan. Looks to have the right mix of training and options to add more as needed.

I've got pace figures and targets to match my current / previous hm times and can adapt the pace as I get fitter.

I think most recognised plans will do the job, the best approach is to decide which one, get it into a spreadsheet, print it out and stick it on your fridge to nag you
Tim
14/12/2012 at 14:33

you're the second person to recommend shades. i'll take a look.

14/12/2012 at 14:52

hi good people -

nice thread Sofaboy - hope ure ok

14/12/2012 at 14:57

well i managed to pull a muscle in my chest during an arm wrestling competition in a chinese restaurant last night (works christmas do). but apart from that i'm all good, thanks.

14/12/2012 at 15:01

good - like i said, nice thread and excellant starter post

the name Sofa boy - its good, is it self explanitory ?

14/12/2012 at 15:07

thank you.

it should be fairly self explanitory.

i might be a slower runner than most people on here but i'd kick your arses on an Xbox. lol.....

14/12/2012 at 15:09

yes as i thought - and well done

were here if we can help -

slower runner- i dont think so

14/12/2012 at 16:00

Quote SofaBoy: "you're the second person to recommend shades. i'll take a look."

Message Shades, she'll send you the plan, then tune this to your current speed to identify the pace for each of the run types, print, fridge it, Sorted 

16/12/2012 at 17:55

shades level 2 marathon program up on the calendar.

tuesday 5 mile easy, here i come!!!

16/12/2012 at 22:01
Hi all, loving this thread, get to eat cakes and buns and drink endless pots of tea. Where do I sign up?
Got my VLM place through a friend in a running club, been ko,d from the last four ballots and he suggested I join the club and apply for the place and well here I am.
Training going well, building up the fitness up to end December and start proper marathon early January.
Running the VLM for breast cancer care and that will be my motivation throughout these dark cold days and yes would love a low 4 hour time but the finish line will be good enough for me!
16/12/2012 at 22:45

Managed a 15 miler today, kept a 10 min / mile pace as planned, so happy with that. Some temp work this week then off skiing over Xmas.

Knees ache now though

18/12/2012 at 09:12

i think i might struggle to maintain my paces on the shades plan. in my unorganised "get to a base level" running i've been doing since June, i've found running at about 8-8:30 mile pace for longer runs comfortable. i've been pushing around 6:45-7:00 for shorter runs.

i've tried running slower, around 9:15 on 10km+ runs but just don't seem to be able to stick to it. the problem is that running 15-21km at 8-8:30 pace means i'm knackered for the next couple of days (even though it feels ok at the time) and i think this will obviously affect my training as the runs get longer.

my paces based on the shades plan seem really slow. 9:30 for easy and 9:50 for long.

i think i might need some mental disapline.

18/12/2012 at 10:15

Morning

Sofaboy, I would stick to a plan you are comfy with. Slower runs are so important to build up the distance. I do long runs at 11-12 min miles which feels like snails pace and tbh I dread them sometimes but I do my shorter runs faster.

41 to 60 of 140 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.