a thread for all new runners who're doing VLM 2013.

61 to 80 of 140 messages
18/12/2012 at 10:20

well my "natural" pace at the mo seems to be around 8:15 min miles but i'm worried that not reining in that pace over longer runs will leave me too fatiqued to get in all the miles we need to do and make me much more prone to injury.

christ, 12 minute miles? i'd be tempted to take a book. lol...

18/12/2012 at 10:28

I am not the fastest of  runners.lol. I tend to run at 10 min mile pace over longer races although I can do between 8-9 on shorter runs. It all depends if my head is in the right place and if I have been on the pop the night before .

18/12/2012 at 10:38

well everyone's got their own pace. i just happen to be physically suited to distance running, being very tall and slim.

i'm planning on cutting the pop quota after christmas, with a slight blip for my brother's stag and wedding in march.

18/12/2012 at 10:45

I am not a natural runner and although I am a healthy weight now I do still tend to have to work really hard to be mediocre. I am happy though as its been life changing for me.

As for the Pop, yeh I'm cutting it too after Christmas.  You have to make exceptions for weddings.

18/12/2012 at 12:13

Morning all

I thought I'd join the party - mince pie anyone?

Not my first marathon or even VLM for that matter, but the pace sounds pretty good on here. I'm still hoping to go sub 4 hours (PB 4:09) and I do my LSR at around 10 m/m so I'm in good company.

Ecky - I feel the same way about how hard I train to be not exactly speedy. It is all relative however, as I know people who would love to be as fast as me.  Btw Trev looks like a 4 hour marathoner to me.

18/12/2012 at 15:06

Hi Fiona, I must admit I would be very pleased with 4.09 for a Marathon.

18/12/2012 at 18:54
Fiona, mince pie would be lovely, thanks! Care for a glass of mulled wine to go with?

I'm doing the VLM next year as my first marathon so will definitely follow this thread. Very excited but also very nervous!

Training going OK - I started a plan 1 weeks ago (a couple of weeks early to allow for minor injuries, race recovery, etc.

Hope everyone's training is going well.
20/12/2012 at 07:53

so first marathon buddies, a quick question, especially for those new to running as well as marathons...

what are you planning on doing after the big day? i only took up running as a means to an end (doing the marathon) but i've found i quite like it. i've thought about the GNR but apparently it's £50 which sounds like a complete rip off. i've also got a friend trying to talk me into a triathon which i'm quite tempted by. i think at the very least i'll keep up with a couple of runs a week.

20/12/2012 at 09:14

My plan is to run a marathon, not become a marathon runner  . But, as I get into running, I can see real benefits and I'm enjoying it.

So I'll wait until after the VLM to make any real judgements. Maybe the training will take too much time and detract from family stuff, maybe I'll get injuries from the training that I can't manage?

It's got me thinking though 

20/12/2012 at 13:19

nothing quite like running in the pouring rain to make you feel like a proper runner (or a misguided fool, depending on your perspective).

time to get the kettle on i feel.

20/12/2012 at 14:02

Got any Biccies for that cuppa?

20/12/2012 at 15:24

actually we're down to the last two digestives. but Mrs Sofa is doing the christmas shop on her way home this evening so i dare say stocks will be replenished.

20/12/2012 at 16:25
I will definitely carry on running after the marathon as have run for almost 2 years. Whether I do another marathon I think will depend on how this one goes and the time I do. I'll either vow never again or will want to get a better time. My aim is to get a GFA time at London which would mean I could run it again in 2014, but who knows?! But I have 10k races in the May and Sept so could focus on those.
20/12/2012 at 16:34

Hi Slowkoala - what are the GFA times that get you a place in 2014?

20/12/2012 at 17:25
They may change for 2014 but currently 3h50 for women 18-40 and 3h10 for men. Slower times for older ages - all the times are on the VLM website.
20/12/2012 at 17:36

damn it, if i dressed as  woman, i might just about make that time.

the "i'm never doing that again" thing can be misleading. i've got a friend who drunkenly agreed to do it as a bet 10 years ago and was too stubborn to back out the next morning. he generally lived on a diet of lager and kebabs at the time so you can imagine his fitness level. by the end he looked like he was about to die and vowed never to do it again. i think he's done it 4 times now.

oddly enough, he still looks like he's about to die every time and still insists that he's never doing it again.

20/12/2012 at 18:05

Im glad Mrs Sofa has gone to get more as you cant be a runner without biccies

I have Custard Creams if anyone is interested. Kids want me to open the Christmas Biccies.

I dont reckon I have any chance of a GFA place as there is no way I will get under 4h. I only want to do it once anyway.

21/12/2012 at 14:19

Sorry, can't help with the biccies, I'm waiting for OH to get back tomorrow to do the supermarket shop.

I don't think there is a whole lot of chance I would get a GFA place either.

I've been running a few years so I've no intentions of stopping.  It does become rather addictive. I think I'm going to concentrate on shorter stuff for a bit as marathon training does eat into your time quite a lot.

PS if you are thinking about GNR then get onto their website to check when the ballot takes place. I think it is in January so you need to decide soon if you want to enter the ballot.  It is a fantastic race - I've done it several times, but pricey. It is indeed around £50 to enter, plus accomodation and what not.....

01/01/2013 at 12:00

morning all, and happy new year. i hope christmas treated you all well and that you got lots of running in. lol...

somehow i managed to do my full 29 miles of "shades" plan including leaving the missus in bed on christmas morning for a 5 mile tempo. madness.

so, everyone set for the last, long push to april?

01/01/2013 at 13:24

Happy New Year all - Xmas was a blowout as I was off skiing, but back now and running today to start the big push for April

At least the weather looks decent for a run

61 to 80 of 140 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.