a thread for all new runners who're doing VLM 2013.

81 to 100 of 140 messages
01/01/2013 at 14:11

we had 5 days in Cumbria and i somehow managed to almost entirely avoid the rain whilst running. and i bagged a bargain on a new set of trainers as well.

01/01/2013 at 16:22

I promised myself a new set of running shoes for January, need to get a fitted pair and take advantage of the sales . I might visit the new London Sweatshop this week if work takes me there.

01/01/2013 at 20:36

Happy New Year everyone. How is the training going. I started my plan yesterday. It wont be long now.

03/01/2013 at 09:11

loving having a set plan to work to. 14 mile LSR this weekend will be my longest run yet.

not looking forward to week 15 though...

03/01/2013 at 12:11

What have you got on week 15?

I have a 10 miler at the weekend which will be the longest I have run since Oct. I did 6 yesterday which was difficult as I had only been doing 3-4 milers.

03/01/2013 at 12:33

off the top of my head, i think its about 42 miles in the week finishing with a 21 miler.

blimey, that's a steep progress curve. watch you don't go too far too soon. about a 10% increase a week is the maximum recommended. although i reckon you could increase that by keeping the pace low.

03/01/2013 at 15:53

A happy new year to you all. I was rubbish over the break and didn't even look at my trainers - bad boy.   So just back from a lunchtime 6 miler to find a HUGE cream cake on my desk as we have a birthday in the office today.    A cream cake is my kinda post run recovery nutrition !    

03/01/2013 at 16:36

hell yeah. i've worked out that i'm due to burn roughly 83,000 extra calories in the next 16 weeks.

that's a lot of carbs....

03/01/2013 at 16:38

hmmmm CAKE, nutrition of champions !

03/01/2013 at 23:35

I may drop a couple of the miles as it is a bit of a jump even though I was used to doing high mileage before Oct.

Did someone say Cake

04/01/2013 at 02:46

Hello, everyone and happy new year!

I'm a tiny bit disheartened. I went to the running shop today and the guy told me I've left it kinda late to start training - dude told me that most people take a year to train for their first marathon.

There's a shade over 15 weeks left, if I'm not mistaken, and I've started my 16 week plan. Running 3 times a week, Monday, Wednesday and LSR on Saturday (followed by a short swim), boxing on Thursday and cycling approximately 15 miles to work and college, Monday to Friday. Sundays I'll be taking a complete rest, no physical activity whatsoever. Tuesdays and Fridays there'll be no running. Might even forego the cycling some days and take public transport. I personally don't think that's too much, as I've seen other training plans that get people running 6 days a week, although some of these schedules look quite complicated so maybe I've misunderstood the schedules and the type of training/running involved.

The dude reckons I'll have clocked up too much mileage by week 12 and that I might be feeling, sore, tight and tired by then. How much mileage do you guys plan to put in per week? At the moment the training plan I'm following has total miles per week as follows (I've adapted it to take into account some other challenges I'm taking part in):

1. 12
  2. 13
  3. 14
  4. 19 (Tough Guy this week hence the jump in miles)
  5. 18
  6. 20
  7. 22
  8. 10 (London to Brighton Bike ride this week, hence taking it easy on running)
  9. 20
  10. 29
  11. 30
  12. 36
  13. 37 (Yorkshire Three Peaks this week)
  14. 18
  15. 16
  16. 34.2 - Marathon Week

I'm not worried about not finishing the marathon, I'm worried about injuries. If I can avoid injuries I'll get over the finish line, by hook or by crook, insha-Allah - somebody owes me a kebab if I do and there's no better motivation to finish for me than that!

Would love to hear from you guys.

04/01/2013 at 02:55

Oh yes, I'll be doing most, if not all of my running on an running track if that makes a difference.

04/01/2013 at 03:07

By the way, why do most marathon training plans put the first run of the week on Tuesdays? I know most LSRs seem to be on Sunday but is there any reason you have to have your LSR on a Sunday as opposed to a Saturday?

Sorry for all the randome posts and quotes. I'm reading other stuff on the site and posting as I go!

07/01/2013 at 12:57

no reason at all. i guess it may be because most people have more free time on a sunday than any other day. and also because most races are on a sunday as well.

but no reason really why you shouldn't shift your runs around. as long as you leave in the appropriate rest days.

as far as training time is concerned, it depends on what you want to achieve. if you're happy to just get round then 15 weeks should do it, provided you're reasonably fit anyway. obviously the quicker the time you want to run the marathon in, then the earlier you need to start training. you can also make your training schedule ramp up quicker, but then you increase your risk of injury as well.

i started last june and am aiming for anything sub 4. i started out doing about 10 miles a week, am currently doing about 35 and will max out at about 42, three weeks before the race. progressing very slowly like that i still managed to pull a hamstring and pick up a niggling achilles ache.

07/01/2013 at 14:20

Hi all

Kamal, I would try and get some road miles in as I know that track is very different to run on. Do you normally do sprinting? It does all depend on how you want to be at the end and how much time you want it to take you.

I started my training but dropped a few miles. I ended up doing 24.5 this week. I need to start training with my Giant Teddy. I may get a weighted back pack so I don't look like a complete narna.

08/01/2013 at 12:43
Eckytump. wrote (see)

I need to start training with my Giant Teddy. I may get a weighted back pack so I don't look like a complete narna.

spoilsport.

i got a pair of superman pants for christmas. i'm thinking of wearing them over my compression tights when it's cold.

10/01/2013 at 12:03

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm taking it easy for the first few weeks. Hopefully the little bit of pre-training and my cycling background will help me with fitness... my main concern is avoiding injury.

I've changed my training plan to fit more in line with the distances found in this plan:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/the-first-three-day-a-week-marathon-schedule/2493.html 

Also got a question:
Monday 8 x 400m Tuesday 3 miles Saturday 10 miles

What does all that 8 x 400m etc stuff mean? Is it run for 400m then walk for 30 seconds and repeat 8 times or is it more complex than that?

Eckytump, I run on a cinder track - it seems quite close to running on the pavement but that's probably me being a naive noob, lol. I will definitely switch to running around Regent's Park Inner Circle one day a week (for my short run) to get some practice on pavements, if only for a change of scenery to break the monotony. Also, running in a circle means I'm never too far from home! :P

Edited: 10/01/2013 at 12:06
10/01/2013 at 13:59

Kamal, I dont think you are being naive but roads very lots with potholes and yucky stuff that you have to avoid. Is your track at a club? sorry I cant remember if I asked that already. also 8x 400 would usually mean just that with a bit of recovery time inbetween.

Oh alright then Sofaboy, I will let TREV have an outing.. I could entertain the loca yoofs.

11/01/2013 at 09:04

Kamal,

if you're going to train on a track you'll want to alternate the direction you run in. although it's only a gentle curve, apparently running long distances the same way round may give you problems in the long run. in a similar way, i try to do some of my road running on the left side (where it's safe) so i'm not constantly running on a right hand camber. i found i was getting a sore extensor in my right leg. this has cured it.

you might also find that running around a track gets too boring. i started doing laps around my village but i find it can really sap the will power. so whenever i can, i ger out and just do a big loop.

13/01/2013 at 15:58

Hiya.

8.5 miles for me yesterday but nothing today as been on a course for running leaders. I really do need to get my backside in gear or I will be crawling round.

81 to 100 of 140 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.