a thread for all new runners who're doing VLM 2013.

1 to 20 of 140 messages
22/10/2012 at 16:27

afternoon all fellow nube's.

i've seen a load of separate "i'm a new runner and i've got a plae in the VLM next year" threads and i thought it would be nice for us all to have a place to hang out, compare improvement times, share worries about the big day and all that.

my own personal story (the short version) is:

10th anniversary of mums death from cancer, runnning for a local hospice that really helped us all.

started in june and now down to 44 minutes for a 10km. 

runnning 4-5 times a week, sticking to the "10% increase max per week" rule and just did my first 10 miler yesterday.

come in, sit down, shake off those hot trainers and i'll get the kettle on.

22/10/2012 at 17:14
Hi Sofaboy

Anyone who offers to put the kettle on wins my vote, shove up and I'll settle meself down, feet up, ready

Been running for a few years with the very occasional race. Did the Royal Parks Half a couple of weeks ago (2h 22 so not quite last lol). It was my third attempt to do a HM. First time scuppered by shin splints, second time diagnosed with cancer - gulp - remember the day i was diagnosed laughing with my cancer nurse that I was supposed to be doing a half marathon in a couple of months and she said 'well maybe not this year' so I though ok then, next year - so I did.

Somewhere along the way I decided that life's too short etc etc and entered the VLM ballot and to my surprise (?horror) I got a place. Thinking of running for Macmillan in tribute to that lovely nurse.

BTW I'm now in robust good health. Still not convinced I can run a marathon though ...

Kate
22/10/2012 at 18:07
Wow, sorry if i sound patronising but you seem really brave. You certainly deserve a chocolate biscuit to dunk in your tea. mcmillan were my second charity choice if i didn't get in with Isabel hospice .
One of my mates who is also a new runner and first time marathon victim next year did the royal parks run. Ended up with a stress fracture to his tibia.

That's what happens when you try to run too far too soon, folks...

Glad you're now healthy.
22/10/2012 at 20:06
Not brave at all just unlucky. Or lucky, depending on how you look at it.

Stress fracture - now that sounds like bad luck. I survived tired but unscathed. Last three miles were really hard despite doing a comfortable 12 in trainng. Spent much of them thinking how am I ever going to run a marathon! Bit of a reality check to tell the truth but had a lovely couple of runs this weekend and feel like I've got my mojo back.

Are you following a training plan?
22/10/2012 at 20:07
Oh and the choccie bikkie went down very well thanks
23/10/2012 at 09:09

i find the mojo comes and goes. i had a horrific 8km run a couple of weeks ago that felt awful. everything ached, i felt like i was constantly on the verge of pulling something and i was absolutely knackered at the end. usual warm up routine, nothing different in eating and drinking patterns. just wierd.

but the next run was fine. just one of those things i guess.

not following a training plan as such at the mo. waiting to see where i am at about 25 weeks to go and then i'll start a training plan starting at where i am at that point. if you see what i mean.

currently working up towards a 1/2, doing a long run each weekend at hopeful marathon pace of 5:30-40 p/km, adding on a bit more distance each week. currently at 16km so should hit the 21km mark in about 3 weeks time.

24/10/2012 at 14:27

I guess this is the point where I stop lurking and say Hi !

After 5 years of trying to get in through the ballot, I have finally got a place on the London Marathon!   I am running for a tiny charity that cannot get a gold bond place in the marathon.  They helped lots when my dauhter was diagnosed with Erbs Palsy....and I wanted to give something back.

https://www.charitiestrust.org/members_data/event/graemesmarathon/index.html

I am not a natural runner and spend a lot of time driving a desk, but I have completed 2 x half marathons @ about 2 hrs over the past 3 years and trying to run 3 times a week [2 lunchtimes @ 5 miles and a distance run on a sunday].

A bit of a plodder and hope I make it.  Building a good base until Christmas and then looking for a training plan to follow after christmas.

Averaging about an 8/9 minute mile (as I said....a plodder).

I have signed up for the Reading Half and the Wokingham Half as training runs - anyone here doing those?

Good luck everyone !

25/10/2012 at 09:52

Hello Windfarmer, pull up an easy chair and get yourself a cuppa. the kettle's just boiled.

not that i've run for a big charity before, but it does feel nice runnning for a small one that doesn't get as much help as the big boys.

8/9 minute miles don't sound that plodding to me. if you can keep it up for all 26.2 of the buggers then you're looking at a sub 4 hour. that's what i'm aiming for and i reckon that's pretty good for a first attempt by an amateur runner.

i'm doing the same as you. building up a good solid base of mileage until the new year and then i think i'll be getting myself on the RW 'intermediate' 16 week schedule.

good luck and i'll see you at the start line.

25/10/2012 at 09:58

Ah Tea.....refreshment of champions Sofaboy!      Just about to 'carb-load' on a couple jammie dodgers to accompany the tea.

Not sure I could sustain 8/9 minute miles for the full 26.2 miles but just completing it would be good enough for me, although 4hrs is my target.

May the force be with you )

25/10/2012 at 10:51

*pops head around door*

Is this where the Cake is

25/10/2012 at 11:17

battenberg do ya?

now you're here.... how was the first marathon? and what was the fastest you'd run in training?

25/10/2012 at 16:09

Mmmm go on then,just a small slice.

Well I just wanted to pop on to help out a bit really as Im not the best or fastest runner and I have never done VLM. I will admit I had only got to 18.5 miles in training but will make sure I do at least 2x 20-22 milers before doing one again as those last miles were tough. Having said that it was a very low key Marathon with very little support en route so I imagine the crowds drag you through at VLM. I had only been running very slow too and didnt do any Marathon paced sessions which was another thing I would change. I managed to get my fuel right which I was pleased about and no blisters so bonus.

I am planning to run (if I get my place but its almost certain) I am hoping to run with a Giant Teddy strapped to my back to raise some dosh for Charity.

25/10/2012 at 16:48
Eckytump if the Giant Teddy doesn't work out can you strap me to your back it's the only way I think I'll get round - you lot all sound a bit speedy compared to me!
25/10/2012 at 16:58

afternoon Katrina (Kate, Kat?)

if ever the phrase "it's not the winning, it's the taking part", (or in this case, the finishing) was appropriate, surely it's for people taking part in their first marathon.

when i first decided to do it i wanted a sub 5 hour time - 4 hours something sounds sooo much better then 5 hours something. now i've done a fair bit of training i'd be happy with a sub 4:30 but am aiming for sub 4 (just about).

however, come the big day i'll have raised a dump load of money for a cause i care about and will have been cheered on by thousands of people. when i'm sat in a pub afterwards with my friends and a pint, i'm sure just finishing will have been more than enough of an achievement.

so don't worry about your time hon, it's not important. what is important is that i've just opened a pack of dark chocolate digestives, and at least two have got your name on.

25/10/2012 at 17:36
Aw Sofaboy thanks for those lovely words, you're right of course it wil be an amazing day - bit overwhelming even - can't believe I'm actually doing it.

We live in London area and I took my daughter to see it a couple of times when she was little and I always used to watch and think - I really fancy doing a bit of running - until one year I decided right come on girl it's now or never and I took myself to Sweatshop and spent a significant sum of money on some shiny new 'proper' running shoes so then I had to get out there and now here I am 7 or 8 years later and i'm actually running the London Marathon.

That's if I don't get too fat from an excess of chocolate biscuits
25/10/2012 at 18:00

Katrina,it took me 5h 41 mins to do mine. I wanted sub 5h but it didnt happen in the end and it became more about staying with a friend and raising dosh. The one we did had a cut off time of 5h so a lot of the support had gone home but London is for everyone and just being there and taking part has got to be the best thing ever. And if you need a piggy back I can dump Trev (the teddy)

25/10/2012 at 18:59
Oh dear no, I couldn't do that to Trev he would be very unimpressed.

The charity thing is interesting in that it seems to be a big motivating factor when the going gets tough. I did RFL last year during chemo, really wanted to run all the way and managed it - def thinking of all the people who had sponsored me helped me to keep going. I was feeling quite relieved that getting a VLM ballot place meant not HAVING to raise money but I'm thinking it might be one of the things that helps me round!

During the Royal Parks Half I was struck by the huge support the charities were giving their runners - even felt a teeny bit jealous - how daft is that lol
25/10/2012 at 21:34

Katrina, I have to say I think you are amazing. I cant even begin to imagine running and being the one who is going through treatment. I suppose I better keep hold of Trev too. Its looking likely that I will get a place through my club as so far Im the only one who has asked for one . I will raise money but want more awareness for a very small Charity.

29/10/2012 at 09:31

18km yesterday morning. oooh, feel those achy calves today. i was temped to just do the last 3km and make it a 1/2, but decided to stick to the schedule. and i'm glad i did to be honest. i'd have felt like a right numpty if i'd pulled a muscle or something, and now i have the righteous glow of self-discipline as well. lol....

also tried energy gels out for the first time. wierd things. the initial hit is not so much a taste as a sensation of 'density', i guess. it's a bit unpleasent, but then the taste comes in and boy is it strong. banana and strawberry, quite nice actually, and makes a noticable difference to energy levels.

how's was everyone's week? good runs?

30/10/2012 at 09:09

Hi Sofaboy. Well done sticking to the schedule. I am going to start my plan on the 31st Dec after a rest.

Energy gels are brilliant but they can make you a bit . Good idea that you are tring them now. I got through Abingdon with 2 gels, Lucozade and some energy sweets.

I did a blog on Abingdon if anyone wants to read it. Its a bit of an emotional rollercoaster but it shows that if I can do it anyone can http://yorkshirepuddingnearly40.blogspot.co.uk/

1 to 20 of 140 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.