A Thread For All Those Aiming For Sub 27 5K

Passed the 30mins but way off the 25mins? This is the place to discuss

21 to 39 of 39 messages
22/05/2014 at 14:39

Did my first Parkrun last week in 27:05.  I used MapMyRun App on my phone and had it set to give info every km, found it very useful.  Was hoping for a new PB this weekend but weather looks dreadful.

22/05/2014 at 16:48

Photojonny -have a good weekend.  I am definitely running on Saturday as I've also set myself the target of getting into the top 50 in our league table !  It's really just an incentive for me to turn up and run regularly, I'm currently at 54th !!  

Well done gav91070, I think you'll soon be moving on to the 'aiming for 25min group ' !!  I have none of the gadgets, just run on how I feel.  Did you find your splits were even ?  You looked at it as you went or just at the end ?  sometimes dreadful weather takes your mind off the run and you find you go faster...

22/05/2014 at 22:16

I used it with headphones so it kept me updated quite nicely.  I use it mainly for training sessions as some races don't allow the use of headphones

31/05/2014 at 13:04
So I did my second parkrun and timed 24.54! Sub-27 and sub-25 in one go!
31/05/2014 at 19:17

Wow thats impressive,  well done !  Did you mean to go off that fast or did you just feel good and go for it ??  

I managed 28ish last week and 27.40 today.  Just trying to be consistently under 29 and hopefully I'll get there by the end of summer. 

31/05/2014 at 19:59
To be honest it didn't really feel any faster. I couldn't really believe it was nearly 3 mins faster when I got to the finish. I can only assume the runs I've done in between have been getting faster without me really realising. I've been practising on the same course to get used to the hill as well. Don't think I'll make such a big jump again! Well done on your time, same as my first one!
31/05/2014 at 20:15

I went hillwalking after so maybe that will help me  

What's your new goal going to be ? 

31/05/2014 at 20:35
Not sure, I'm running more for fitness/health/keeping the weight down rather than times. I think I'm gonna enter a 10k in July. Guess I'll just keep going to the parkrun and see what happens!
01/06/2014 at 18:30

Hello there! Please may I join as well? My 5K PB from last year is 26:46, but I've had some injuries and not run as much this year, and my current park run PB is around 27:15  I have in my head I'd like to get this down to at least sub 27 this summer, before my annual 5K race that I set my PB on last year. So as you see - this group is perfect!

Last year I was working quite hard at adding some intervals into my runs after a spring (slow) marathon, so I think I had the advantage of good stamina (after the long, slow marathon training runs) coupled with speed work for a bit of pace. I feel like I'm only just getting back into running this year, and as I've just got a lovely new road bike have been sneaking off cycling rather than running, so I think I need to be a little more disciplined if I'm going to break 27 minutes again!

I've just started Juneathon so hopefully that will help!

Edited: 01/06/2014 at 18:32
02/06/2014 at 22:16

Welcome! The more the merrier   i can sympathise with the distractions of cycling... running regularly in summer seems so much harder because of the distractions of cycling, picnics, hill walking, gardening, the list goes on.... Less options in the dark gloom of winter!  My aim is to try and do 3 or 4 runs a week, but the reality is I'm only really managing 2 or at most 3 a week.  this week I'm determined to do better in my quest for sub 27.  Did 4 miles on sunday so aiming to get out tuesday too and hopefully thursday.

hadn't heard of juneathon, I like the idea but I'd be hopeless at remembering to blog! Maybe easier in winter too!!   At least lots of cycling should give you a good base fitness too for running. 

02/06/2014 at 22:47

Ok, I'll bite, current PB (in training) is 28:20 done during marathon training earlier this year. I don't do specific 5k training and don't have a Park Run nearby either so just hoping my times will tumble with increased stamina.

Should have run a 3 mile recovery run today but it turned into a 4.97k run in 28:41. The route is nice and flat for 1.5 miles then the next mile is 65 of the 95 metre incline - maybe if I ran it in reverse I'd go sub 27 lol.

02/06/2014 at 23:11

Hi Andy, I bet you would easy get sub 27 if you had a parkrun nearby. I easily go 2 minutes faster when there are others around.  It's a shame there aren't more 5k races around.  You could see if you could get to one sometime you're away anywhere.  i was thinking of trying to do all the parkruns in scotland at one point but i've only managed 2 so far and they keep adding more !

Are you training for something else just now or just running for the love of running ?  

03/06/2014 at 16:37

Hi R4C and yup, just started training for the Loch Ness marathon in September. I live on Mull so any PR would mean an overnight - I have suggested running Inverness the day before the Marathon to people but not many takers lol.

2 minutes faster in a race sounds good to me   There is the odd 5k here on Mull but the next one I know of is the same day as the HM and am doing that to gauge my pace for LN.

08/06/2014 at 19:02

Yeah, Probably not the best marathon prep!  Someone said to me at the parkrun on saturday that they only ever get a 5k pb a couple of weeks after doing a marathon !! I'm not sure I'm willing to do that to get a pb!  I'm still looking for a summer goal to train for, was ideally looking for 10mile -so the options are Ballater in july or Kyles in september - something scenic and not too busy are my preferences though considering inverness 10k  too though I've heard it's busy. 

Managed 27.26 at the parkrun on saturday, if I'd known I was so close to my Pb (3 secs off) I'd have tried harder !! Still not consistent though, was 14.15 for first half, and 13.11 for second half.

08/06/2014 at 20:37

R4C, is that the Inverness 10k during Baxters Festival of running in September? 2,500 finishers last year, about the same as for the Marathon. 3 seconds off a PB? that's almost like finishing fourth and out of the medals I guess the faster one becomes the smaller the times are for PB's. 

I'd also heard that about PB's after the Marathon - maybe because your running fewer miles? (I seem to PB during taper!).

Earlier in the week and after 5 hilly miles of 1/2 mile intervals I found myself at the top of a 1.75 mile hill and thought it would be a good idea to see my 5k time mainly downhill. Sadly I started too quickly so stopped for a rest after the first mile but the 7:22 did shave 24 seconds off my previous best mile. McMillan suggests 7:22 could (with the right training) convert to a 25:34 5k - just need to find a 3.11 mile hill lol.

Edited: 12/06/2014 at 20:58
16/06/2014 at 21:24
So I hit 23.06 at the parkrun this week! I was chasing down the guy pacing for 23 mins but couldn't quite catch him. I suspect my time will start to plateau now!
17/06/2014 at 09:09

Wow - well done photojonny! At the start of June I ran a 5K distance locally (not a race) just to see where I am now speed wise. It's not a good route for a PB as it has a big dip down & up again in the middle (and it's an out and back course so of course you have to do it twice!)

I ran it in 29:40 (so quite a way off 27 minutes, but see my caveat about the dip!) and I hope to run it again at the end of June and see if I've speeded up any. I might just do it again tomorrow and see how it's going half way through.

wannebebarefoot Andi - 3.11 mile downhill sounds like a good idea - but I think it would kill my knees!

28/06/2014 at 18:57
So annoyed! Trying to get under 23 mins now and got my time for this morning: 23.00 exactly! Aaaarrrggghhh!
28/06/2014 at 19:03

Obviously not trying hard enough jonny  Fantastic improvement in such a short time!

B&T, am training for the Loch Ness Marathon in September and with its negative incline doing 5k downhill repeats might be a good idea if I can get the OH to drive me back up each time lol.

No running for a week due to back issues but have hopefully got that sorted now.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.