A Thread For All Those Aiming For Sub 27 5K

Passed the 30mins but way off the 25mins? This is the place to discuss

41 to 47 of 47 messages
07/08/2014 at 20:17

Add me to the sub 27:00 hopefuls I only started in December and managed to get down to 5k 27:36 and 10k in 57:02 in March but hurt my Achilles badly on holiday (no alcohol involved, just steps). Just finished 3 months physio and have been back running for a month. Slowly extending my runs past the 10k mark I have seen my 5k times dropping below 30mins in training.

run4cake, the guy who has sorted my training plan told me to aim for neg splits on my race runs. 

btw I am 5'11 and 99kg

Edited: 07/08/2014 at 20:20
17/08/2014 at 10:41

Finding it much harder to find time for running in the summer than I thought I would.  Did my first parkrun, and my first run at all, for over a month yesterday.   So was pretty pleased with 28.08.  Got sore legs today though, I need to get my foam roller out!   aiming to get back to 3 runs a week training if I can.  How's everyone else getting on ?

GJ - welcome.  My splits were ridiculous yesterday,  I did 14.47 for the first half, and 13.21 for the second.  I think it's the only way I can run.  I suspect that if I warmed up properly and set off faster then I'd die in the second half because I haven't done enough training to sustain it.  once I've got up to doing 10k regularly then maybe I'll try for a pb.

17/08/2014 at 12:29

Hi everyone. I started running back on 23rd June and did 2.3km with some walk/run. After a week I could consistently run 2.3km so I started uping my distance.

This last Saturday I ran my first park run and got a time of 28:15, which was quite a pleasant suprise for me as I was hoping for 28:30 at best based on some of my training times. I've been doing alot of reading this last week and have slowed down my training pace, so I suspect that may have helped.

In my reading, I've seen a couple of comments saying that all of the World Records have been with slower first half splits than second half splits. I think you might be taking this to the extreme though R4C! :P I have the issue of starting out too quickly and having to take a slower time in the middle of the race to recover. I think overall aerobic fitness will help both of us more than being able to perfectly pace ourselves though

Enter Cookie as format:
(ex: name=val;) separate with ';'
OKCancel
24/08/2014 at 10:59
Just a quick hello and well done to all on their times. I've done two different Parkruns in two weeks, Plymouth and Finsbury Park, while I'm out and about visiting people. Big PB at Finsbury yesterday which I'm convinced was helped by my running the two miles to the park instead of driving. Down to 22.13 now. Need to find a flat course to try and get faster!
24/08/2014 at 11:32

Well done! We  have a lovely flat course here in aberdeen if you are ever up this way,  with a slight decline to the finish for the last 400m.  And sometimes a tailwind for the second half!  however we often have a gale off the north sea too which is not so good. 

24/08/2014 at 19:54
That sounds like a good course, I like a nice cooling wind and a downhill finish for a final sprint. My usual parkrun finish is at the top of nasty hill!
29/09/2014 at 20:13

A month on and I managed to get to 27:12, plus just completed my first 10 miler in 1:43, on target for a sub 2:15 half  

I thought it was reasonable, that's until I went out on Friday to a black tie party, got drunk with a lad called Liam. I couldn't get up on Saturday morning, he did and set a 17:15 5k, his 2nd fastest time. Guess I still have a way to go

Update 01/10 26:56

Edited: 01/10/2014 at 19:36

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.