A word (or three) on shoes

particularly for new runners...

7 messages
17/01/2011 at 17:23

I started running in May last year.  I did the C25K thing in my old nikes, then went to buy some more appropriate shoes as my shins kept hurting.  I went to Run & Become in Cardiff and ended up with Brooks Adrenaline GT10s - now, I KNOW I overpronate really badly because even as a child it caused me problems.

The shoes were....ok.  Better than my old ones but the niggly shin spint kept bugging me for all of last year. In the end I went to a different shop in Cardiff and got my gait video analysed.  Came out with the orthopaedic shoes of the running shoe world - a pair of Saucony Stabils.  My god, what a revelation!  I've had them for a month now and it's changed my little running world - not a twinge or an ache.  I'm running faster and further and I'm not starting every run waiting for the pain to start.

So, the point of this ramble - don't mess about with your shoes.  An hour of your life in a decent shop where they know what they're doing makes all the difference.

17/01/2011 at 21:01

Well said that man.

When I first started, I was too stingy / shy to walk into a proper running shop with all those intimidating "proper" runners in there and made do with JJB bought shoes that I kind of gait analysed myself for...

After the innevitable pain and the expense of buying crap shoes from a crap shop, I fianlly went into Up and Running in Liverpool, got properly fitted and havent looked back since

17/01/2011 at 21:57

I keep reading this advice, and now have every intention of actually getting my gait analysed.

I also did C25K last year in my nikes, and whilst there is some wear left in them, I feel that I now need some "proper" running shoes. 

Then again, this may just be an excuse for a girl to go shoe-shopping. 

17/01/2011 at 21:59

Natalie - I began with C25k and a pair of Nike Air Alaris. Rubbish rubbish rubbish and lots of knee pain to prove it!

Take the advice! Be brave!

17/01/2011 at 22:42
Kicked-it, my friend.....which bit of my pic makes me look like a man??

Apart from the goat, obviously.
17/01/2011 at 23:46
While this is good advice, the video gait analysis is not fool proof. I have bought two pairs of shoes using it which both actually created problems for me. I think there is often a drive by shop staff to completely correct pronation, which can end up with you buying stability shoes when it might not be the case.

I could be the exception tho! I now run in a neutral shoe and use orthotics (custom ones).

Cheers, Ant
18/01/2011 at 20:53

I agree with Ant, gait analysis is not fool proof. its also only addresses issues with the lower part of the body which seems a little strange to me considering that you also run using your upper body.
I prefer full body biometric checks such as that done by strideuk in hove.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.