Acceptable First HM Time

21 to 31 of 31 messages
04/05/2011 at 11:43
Exactly roycie. Running 13 miles is a damn fine achievement for anyone, and Brian, I'm impressed by anyone who even attempts it. Just don't worry too much about times at first. Once you know how your body handles it, you can go for faster times later.
04/05/2011 at 19:38
roycie82 wrote (see)

Plymouthrob, I'm also doing my first half at the end of the month, guessing you're doing the plymouth one too!! I'm getting a bit nervous now. I would love to finish in under 2 but realistically I'm going for 2.10 as I know I'm capable of steady 10 min/mile. I think I've now come round to thinking that this will be my first and very memorable experience and will give me a time to work from and (hopefully) get quicker in future halfs.

Maybe we all have the tendency to beat ourselves up too much. I'm worrying about not being 10 mins quicker but in reality, running for 13 miles is a massive achievement when I couldnt even run a mile a year ago. I should just be happy with a finish.

I should but.....

Yea im doing plymouth half. Understand your nerves im exactly the same. Really looking forward to it now its getting closer and im getting more confidant with the distance. Will be a great experience. Good luck.  
06/05/2011 at 22:53
My first one a week sunday, done 12.5 miles in 2hrs 15 about a month ago and really struggled with the last few miles. Rested up since having done max 10 mile long runs since and found them all much more enjoyable and legs feel quite fresh now.

Hoping for around 2 hrs 15 for the hm, but as others have said any finish is a PB and as I started out in Jan at 17 1/2 stone (not being able to run a mile!) and have shed 2 1/2 of them so far, I'll take what ever I achieve ... and then go and improve it!

06/05/2011 at 23:16

Hi Brian, Did my first half marathon last sunday. Your time is going to depend on lots of factors really.

Personally I was aiming for under 1hr 45mins which was fairly optimistic as the best i had done before that in training was 20k in 1hr 41mins iirc. My finishing time was 1hr 43mins so i was happy with that.

If i could give you one tip for your race, it would be to pace yourself, start off sensibly & try to block out all those around you, just run your own race & enjoy it.

Good Luck

07/05/2011 at 11:45
I definately think being able to pace it right is the key, hope I don't get too carried away early on. On the other hand don't want to leave too much in the tank either, it's all a learning curve and this time tomorrow it will all be over!
08/05/2011 at 12:54
one hour 55 mins. Nice and humid to start with then the sun came out with 4 miles to go!! Enjoyed first ten miles. Main aim to get in under two hours so did that.
08/05/2011 at 13:24

Well done Brian!

(only another 20 minutes to knock off next time then )

08/05/2011 at 21:20
Just go for ten minutes off next year Wilkie if you dont mind
10/05/2011 at 01:54
Well done Brian. I did my first half in March, came in at 2hrs 2 mins, but was carrying an injury so as has been said I had two goals, one for under 2 hours, the other was just to finish. Now I'm running the Manchester 10k next weekend, the Liverpool Tunnel 10k in June, and a lakeland trails marathon in July! This running lark is damn addictive
10/05/2011 at 14:03

Brian

time is not important

competeing is ......

we all run for our own reasons,

to compete , to enjoy , to feel good is all that matters

good luck

10/05/2011 at 14:06

Scouce

yes your quite right

this running lark is extremely adddictive

so, enjoy it while you can, time and tide waits for no man !

feel fit and good

good luck always

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.