addicted now

1 to 20 of 64 messages
07/05/2012 at 11:50

am in my third week of running. took advice of those on here and am strictly following training times. did 3r/1w x6 today. its an hour later, i managed to do it, didnt giveup half way like i always think i will, got back and am still buzzing!!!!

07/05/2012 at 18:58

Well done, Caroline!

08/05/2012 at 01:13

Yay you! 

08/05/2012 at 23:02

Go you!  You're doing great.

09/05/2012 at 06:08
Hi Caroline, I am also in my third week of running, it's so addictive already. You are doing great.
09/05/2012 at 20:46

i dont know. it was bloody hard work today. i got thru the 2nd half on sheer stubborness. i've been eating too  much today maybe that didnt help. and my legs ache. not pain, but aching. oh stop moaning woman

27/05/2012 at 07:35
Caroline, I was wondering how you were getting on with your training? I'm now on week 5 of the C25K, running 5 minutes nonstop, and tomorrow moving up to 8 minutes. How are you finding it?
27/05/2012 at 09:17

morning,

today i did 8r/2w x 3. it was fine. i feel that i have to force myself to keep going, try and distract myself from the running, give myself little goals. bizarrely today i ran really quite fast, got home and had to keep going round my road!!!

i worry every week about moving onto the next week, but somehow manage to do it. i didnt find going from 5 to 8 minutes running too difficult. let me know how you get on x

27/05/2012 at 09:23

and am still buzzing!!!

29/05/2012 at 06:08
Morning!

I've just been out for my run and I can't believe that I managed to run for 8 minutes, how can my fat, unfit body be managing this? I struggled with running a minute 6 weeks ago. And bizarrely I think that in my first 8 minutes I could've kept going, I wasn't ready to walk but I did and found the second 8 minutes more difficult to get into stride. This is making me much more positive about managing 20 minutes on Thursday morning now.

5k park run here I come (soon)!
29/05/2012 at 08:22

i know what you mean about the reverting to walking. although my legs needed it i found it difficult to change stride.

i am about to go out and do 12r 1w x3. which is sounding horrific. its the programme off this site. i'll let you know

many congrats. you sound like your buzzing!! hey we're even doing our runs on the same day. pity your prob in like sheffield or somewhere, i could really do with a running mate x

29/05/2012 at 09:17
I'm in Glasgow, on the border with Paisley. Where are you Caroline?
29/05/2012 at 10:14

i knew you've been a ton of miles away!!! i'm in aylesbury, its about 25 mins from oxford in bucks. i've just come back from the above mentioned run. i did it!!! i didnt stop!!! it felt flipping great. so the park run your aiming for, is it an organised thing?

29/05/2012 at 10:53

inspiring stuff! I am on week 4 of the c25k plan (using the iphone app) and know what you mean about a) running for times that you thought were impossible just a few weeks ago and b) feeling like you can run for much longer.

For the first time I can actually visualise myself running for hours! Ok it's still a long way away but it does not seem completely impossible any more.

I asked about whether it is ok to move on to full time running and the general advice has been to stick with the plan. It apparently will allow your tendons and muscles to get conditioned in a more controlled manner. I did still cheat - i run the 5 mins cooldown and then add an extra 5 mins walk on the end. I messed this up on my last run and ended up being further away from home than I expected and ended up running 8 mins straight without realising it Happy days! It's going to take all the patience in the world to stick with the plan.

I REALLY look forward to my run days now - and the run is over all too quickly

29/05/2012 at 11:23

believe in the plan, for it is setting the ground for the long distances you will be able to do in the not too distant future. if you build it, it will come(sorry kevin costner). but i know exactly what you mean about being able to envisage just keeping running. and yes if someone had told me i could run from the back of tesco on the canal all the way back home(trust me good distance) on 23rd april when i started i would have laughed in their faces. result amir and pink lynne x

29/05/2012 at 11:39
It was someone on these boards that told me about park runs. They are all over the country, every Saturday morning and are a timed 5k. I googled park run Glasgow and found one in our local park that we go to all the time, but just never at that time on a Saturday morning! I can see the most recent results on the website so it's giving me an idea of how fast I'll need to be to compete and not make a total tube of myself. Try googling your nearest town and see what you find!
01/06/2012 at 06:10
I did it! 20 minutes non-stop, it feels amazing, totally elated now! It was tough, even during it I was struggling and had to keep giving myself mini-goals, eg the end of this street, my friends house along a bit, the end of this song, but somehow managed it.

How is everyone else's plans coming along?
01/06/2012 at 06:25

well done lynne, i still havent done 20 mins non stop tho. mini goals are great, they make things easier. i have done 12 run 1 walk x3 twice this week and it felt good!! yesterday for the 1st time my calves weren't tight. hurrah. have you got the losing weight bit under control cos i certainly havent.

01/06/2012 at 07:42
I started Slimming World in January this year and weighed in at (gulp!) 20 stone 1 lbs. I have lost 3 stone 12 lbs up til now and still have 6 stones to go to get to target. My friend is the leader so she keeps me on the straight and narrow! I do Zumba either twice or four times a week too (depends on hubby's shifts) and this helps too.

I'm hoping that running helps me get to goal and helps me stay there!
01/06/2012 at 14:46

Hi All, I've been reading this thread and would like to join in if I can as I'm also a newbie runner. I'm 55 and this all started a few weeks ago when I was trying to think of a way to raise money for our grandson's op 'SDR' (which will enable him to walk), basically the NHS will not fund the op 35K so everyone has gone into overdrive with the fund raising. 

As I live in Turkey, so am not on hand,  but come back regularly I really wanted for us to be able to do something here, so in a moment of madness I entered hubby and myself into a half marathon in Cornwall in August.

We have been training now for 4/5 wks and I started off only being able to run for 2 mins before having to stop and walk (asthma sufferer), anyway I'm on a high today as I managed to run for 19mins without stopping, it felt amazing and I did 3 miles in 38mins, I know that's not breaking any records but I'm so chuffed!

Well done P/L I totally understand how you felt doing your 20mins

1 to 20 of 64 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.