advantages or cross country running??

8 messages
01/07/2008 at 13:42
hey, since re-stating my running ( great north run and london marathon my targets) i had found my joints had become very unused to pounding the roads, so too the measure of running cross country tom ake it easier on my joints. i am loving it! i can feel my muscls really getting a workout!! i suppose i am answering my own title but is cross country a good idea. i am still hitting roads sometimes to run the country and sometimes for my whole run.  my training now is to run 4 times a week, atleast 1 long run every fortnight (did 10 miles sunday which was almost double my normal run), guess this was kinda a blog rather than a question lol comments welcome!
01/07/2008 at 14:34
I run in a local forest. Good paths and a great views of wildlife.

I prefer it to the roads/streets. I've read its better on the joints but I've also read it makes no difference!

To answer your question I don't think theres any advantage/disadvantage, just your personal preference

01/07/2008 at 17:52
i love running off road and i'm fortunate to live 0.5 mile from the beach at Crosby on the Mersey estuary. I regularly run at Formby Point - acres of woodland and dunes to roa in before hitting the shore again.

i think the adjustments the leg, knee, ankle and toes have to make when running off road help to build stronger muscles and joints in a way that roadwork can't. the downside is tripping or twisting something but, for me, off road is well worth the risk
02/07/2008 at 09:50

I agree, I do most of my running on trails. It strengthens your muscles, and it strengthens your soul. 

But there is one real advantage on running on roads. They give you a regular even surface to run on, which is exactly what you need if you are doing speedwork, reps, intervals etc in preparation for a race. You also find that you naturally run slower on rough terrain. Tree roots, stones, rough surfaces all act as trip hazards if you are bombing along doing 8 x 200 or whatever.

I therefore do long runs in the beautiful countryside, and speedwork/ paced runs on roads.

02/07/2008 at 09:52

........ or should I say pavements, with watching out for traffic!! I try and find a "big block" where I dont have to cross a road.

Traffic.............. definitely a hazard when running in urbal areas!!

02/07/2008 at 14:00
ye, my speedwork days are fading fast but I think you've got the right balance there, Kingfisher blue.

if I happen to fancy stepping out a little, i'm 0.5 mile from the promenade at Crosby, giving me 2.5 miles traffic free (except for bicycles), either smooth tarmac or beach.
03/07/2008 at 08:14
tyhat is kinda what im doing my 10 miler on sunday was about 7 miles cross country  (the rest running to and from) i tend to mix my other 3 runs of the week, usually 1 run for certain on roads only a week where i do find im running smoother and faster
05/03/2013 at 11:36

Having read this I thought my search maybe a relevant coment to place here ... CBPCreative are looking for 2 male runners for a test photography shoot coming in the next 2-3 weeks, if you are a dedicated and committed road runner or cross country runner, you look the part we'd love to hear from you ASAP!

For more in us please see http://www.krop.com/clevelandbrady/

Contact me: sandra@cbpcreative.co.uk 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.