How am I doing?

21 to 40 of 97 messages
adbru    pirate
22/01/2008 at 08:35

No Problem Mick.

Thanks for your wishes, I will pass them on

22/01/2008 at 09:15

Caramammal and Adbru  - 

Thanks so much for that! I too can remember when I first started out that I could barely do a few seconds, as I was so unfit! I've definately seen an improvement in my running over the last few weeks, (started end of Dec) than I did in the space of about 6months or so last year when I was exercising sparadically. When my legs feel heavy, I just slow it down alittle bit more, not that you can get any slower! Running outside in the open spaces feels great, as the air is so fresh. Thanks so much for all the advice and support! Tashx

Dustboy  -

WHOOPS!!! HA HA HA!!! Don't I feel stupid, I thought it was a form of supplement for exercising?!! I take it, it's no so good!! Tashx

Dustboy    pirate
22/01/2008 at 13:55

A year ago I was quite happy doing 10Ks in just sub the hour and a nice long chat with a mate on a slow 8 miler Sunday arvo trotting up the canal. And having a lay in on Saturday and Sunday if the kids let me.

Last Saturday I was up before 6am to go out on a 40 mile bike ride taht made my ar5e feel liek it had been used as a football. And I chastise myself at 100 lengths in the pool as not long enough.

And I have no money left and say words like "wattage", T1 and T2, and swim golf.

Best crack in the world though.  

28/01/2008 at 22:28

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to get some advice... you'll be pleased to know that I'm still keeping up with the running, I've managed to increase it now to 20 minutes in one go, and will be trying to keep at that time for a while. However, there have been a couple of times where I have been so tired but still continued jogging and really pushed myself. In addition to running 2/3 times a week, I also do a cardio DVD for just under an hour 3/4 times a week and that really builds up a sweat (which they're supposed to, I know!). What I wanted to know was am I doing too much? Sometimes, I do both in one day, like I did today and sometimes exercise without eating anything. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Tashx 

28/01/2008 at 22:37

Nat

i was going to say even before i read your last bit

are you doing too much to quick ?

nice and gently, though see what others say !!

best wishes

Mick

THT
29/01/2008 at 07:39

I love reading these posts too, as a fellow beginning runner!

What happened for me is that I found it REALLY HARD to run - I was running once/week and feeling like I was banging my head against the wall.  Then my new partner bought me a real pair of running shoes, my little boy started nursery and I sorted out how long I had to wait after eating before running -- and now I run 3 or 4 times/week and can comfortably do almost 30 minutes!  (I used to do .25 miles and just about keel over!!!)  One day it just hit me like a lightning bolt and I was having such a good time I missed my turn off!  I now want to join a local club but they require you run 45mins first.  I may join my partner's club instead as they seem more beginner friendly and I am eyeing my first 'race' (I will run it but not 'race' it if you see what I mean).  I think the inspiration will do me good.   I also signed up for the Hearts First Jog so I can go whatever distance I want to up to 10K without feeling (at this point) like I will be down on myself if I don't 'finish' (not expecting to do a 10K anytime soon though I REALLY would like to!)

I have found recently, though (comments welcome) that I seem to not be able to help myself from going faster  - so I bump up againt a plateau with how far I can run without running out of steam.  I go the same distance I did a few weeks ago but can't get over that distance becuase I can't seem to keep myself from speeding up.  I *want* to be faster but I am not *trying* to be faster - trying to be slower doesn't seem to work very well!  

THT

29/01/2008 at 08:13

THT

i don't know if this will help you or not, BUT, just try and say to yourself,

it does'nt matter how fast, fit, experienced my fellow runners are

they just like  me,  were beginners once !!

and believe me we were !

Stump    pirate
29/01/2008 at 08:20

THT - back off on the intensity

When you first start every run is a gut wrenching, eyeballs out, trial. This is because your fitness is so low.

After a bit you can go further etc but you still have this mental momentum that drives you to extremes.

Training is more about regular vol than extremes. Drop the effort. You'll feel like a slacker. You are not, you will go longer but you need to come out of the red zone.

29/01/2008 at 08:25

Stump

how's you

well said that, why did'nt i put it that way !

Stump    pirate
29/01/2008 at 08:35

I'm fine.

Are you well?

You've forgotten more about running than I'll ever know. Beginner is concept that you know about but from a long time ago!

29/01/2008 at 08:38

yes i suppose

i just like in my sad old way to think i can still help someone feel good that's all !

THT
29/01/2008 at 09:37

What if I don't start my runs feeling like I"m killing myself though? I don't really 'feel' anything but good.  I just can't seem to get over the hump of a certain distance and I didn't realise what it was (going too fast) until I ran with my partner (who has a stopwatch for doing his own runs) and saw that our short 'route' took me less time from one week to the next (2.3 miles was 41 seconds faster).

I guess I don't know what you mean by 'the red zone'  

Thank you!!

THT

Stump    pirate
29/01/2008 at 09:44

Mick - You'll never know how good it is to hear the "Easy, Easy, EeeeeeeeSeeeee" chant from behind you in a race

You just pop all those daft ideas and remind us we run for the love of it

THT - I'd be amazed if you were not trying too hard. I'm no expert but the thing most beginners do is try too hard, too soon, too often.

Maybe it's the way we are but almost every runner does it.  Have you considered a HRM to measure your effort?

THT
29/01/2008 at 09:52
<<

THT - I'd be amazed if you were not trying too hard. I'm no expert but the thing most beginners do is try too hard, too soon, too often.

Maybe it's the way we are but almost every runner does it.  Have you considered a HRM to measure your effort?>>

I might be trying too hard but it doesn't seem to feel that way   Only when I near the end of my run and then its usually a stitch or my shins (have to run on pavement where I am). I don't ever really feel winded or like I have to stop to breathe etc - its usually these other issues that get to me. 

I have been looking at HRMs but being a gadget person I tend to eyeball the incredibly pricey models with all the bells/whistles.  I'd love a recommendation for one that is small enough to not break my arm (small female) and can act as a stopwatch etc as well.  I'd prefer one that could both use a strap and not use a strap so I can use it but am not always committed to a strap. (Not sure quite how that works with women and the whole bra/breasts thing - I assume the strap fits above!)

Stump    pirate
29/01/2008 at 10:14

Straps go below your breast line, just about the line of your sports bra. Girlies on Short Stuff could help with details

I'm small and use a garmin 305 but it's quite bulky. I used to use a polar RD200 and that was a good unit as well.

Check out the review section, but if I may suggest, buy a cheapo one to start. It could take a while to get used to and there are some new top line stuff coming out in about 4 months.

I ran an entire 10k bouncing off my max heart rate and believed I could have gone harder. Perception is a funny thing....

30/01/2008 at 00:10
WHY, WHY, WHY DID I NOT LISTEN TO EVERYONE'S ADVICE!!!!?? My feet are feeling all tight and achy after exercise, is this normal?? Also, I'm feeling a little tightness in my shins and calves. I did my cardio DVD today for an hour, and actually intending on doing it again tomorrow and some jogging.......HELP!!! Tash
30/01/2008 at 08:45

Tash

it's all a learning process

30/01/2008 at 08:54
Tash, there is no harm in having a day off or having an easy day if you don't feel like it. You're subjecting your body to some pretty tough stresses when you start out, and you're using muscles in different ways and so they have to adapt and stretch to fit, so learn to listen to it and adjust accordingly. If things hurt then they hurt for a reason, and pressing on regardless can be a backward step. I've learnt this the hard way on more than one occasion.
30/01/2008 at 09:24

Hi, Tash, well done on starting and even better on keeping going! You've had advice from the most valiant and most experienced runner of us all, Mick, so if you do what he says, you'll do fine!

And do you remember what he said? Take it slowly, make it enjoyable, don't rush....if you're exhausted and hurting, you probably ARE trying to do too much, too fast. We nearly all do it, and if we do, we pay for it. You can't rush it. The rest periods in between exercise are when your body actually build up so it can doa little more next time. If you're not taking those rests, you're actually setting yourself back.

I saw you were in the Netherlands---I am too, so if you email me through this thread maybe we can compare notes!

Take it easy, and remember you're doing this for the sheer pleasure, and you're in it for the long term. There's no hurry, you're doing fine! xxx

30/01/2008 at 09:52
Mick and Phil, Beware of the Fish and Gentle Chugger, thank you all for the advice, it's all greatly appreciated! I will be resting today.....Tashx
21 to 40 of 97 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.