Advice for half marathon training

3 messages
16/06/2013 at 09:59

I've started running again (after a 25 year break!) as cross-training, with a more experienced runner from my squash club. I've really got the bug and we're planning a few half marathons this year. We're running once a week and have done the following so far (miles): 7, 6, 9, 9, 9, 4, 10.

We're running 9-10 minute miles. Cardio-wise, I feel I could run all day (hr about 130bpm), but the top outside of the thighs are sore and making me hobble for 3 or 4 days after a run. On the 10 miler, my left shin was sore for the first few miles, then the right thigh for the last 3 miles. The thighs feel bruised still after 3 days. 

Is this normal for early training or do I need to change or work on something? Any advice or good books to read would be appreciated!

For info, I'm not overweight and had running shoes properly fitted for gait, etc.

Thanks

Nick

16/06/2013 at 10:27

My thighs ache from running too. I bought a foam roller and that helps a bit. 

From other people on here Quad pain is unfortunately normal. 

17/06/2013 at 11:12

Probably all `normal`. Really you do need to run more often so that your body adapts. Shorter mid-week runs would be ideal otherwise the shock of doing a 10 at the weekend can take your body a while to recover from. A short plod a day or 2 after a long plod should actually help.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.