Advice to avoid old injury

1 message
22/02/2009 at 12:06

Hi,

I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my treadmill next week and intend to run 3 times a week.  However, I am worried that running might bring back some old injuries so would like advice as to whether I should wear support bandages or something else.

Several years ago I used to run 3 times a week at my local gym and developed a knee injury.  It used to give way and feel stiff and painful at times.  I had an x-ray which did not suggest any bone injury so it was never diagnosed as any specific injury.  The injury healed as I gave up running when I got pregnant.

Then 2 years ago I started Kixa Self Defence classes.  This is a great all over body workout which also teaches you skills in punching and kicking.  The majority of the lesson is conducted on tiptoes.  Last summer I developed plantar faciitis and had to take 6months away from classes to allow it to heal.  I have been back for 6months now and do the lesson on flat feet to avoid the injury returning.  So far, the injury has not returned.

So should I be worried that either my knee or my plantar  injury may return by running on a treadmill?  ARe there any precautionary steps I should take to avoid these injuries returning? 

Thanks.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.