Am I aiming too high?

21 to 23 of 23 messages
15/10/2002 at 12:06
Well, I went out this weekend on the roads and loved it. I guess I did about 5k but was running with my mum so it was a bit slower than I would have liked, but I felt so much better after doing 5k outside than I do after doing 5k in the gym. Saying that I did 6k in the gym yesterday and felt OK afterwards. What's the most mileage I should be aiming for before the Brighton 10K - should I have done 10K or can I get away with only having done 6 or 7 on the roads?
15/10/2002 at 12:14
Picketty
I managed one 10k in training prior to my first 10k race. The problem was previously I'd only ran 5K and therefore the extra strain on my body meant I injured my foot and had to take it very easy for the following two weeks.
Just try to increase you distance by about 10% each week up to the race - If you don't get in a 10k I wouldn't worry - as V-rap said you'll do it on the day - just take it easy. Good Luck
17/10/2002 at 22:46
When I did my first 10K, I'd only run for 30mins in the gym but the crowds and the atmosphere carry you along. I had 2 short walks to catch my breath and finished in 67 mins. There's nothing quite like that feeling!!!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.