An Oldie Starting Out!

181 to 183 of 183 messages
26/04/2008 at 14:40

Hi everyone.  I thought I'd drop in to let you all know where I am - or rather where I'm not  - with my new year's resolution to start running....

After several weeks of physio and 3 weeks of absolutely no exercise at all and still no improvement, the physio began to suspect that perhaps inflamed tendons were just a symptom of something more serious.   Turns out she was right - I've got a stress fracture on my tibia.  I've probably had it since November which is when I first started to notice pain in this area, although it got really bad at Christmas when I keeled over on a kerb stone.  Continuing to walk on it for the last 6 months hasn't helped.

So now I'm just resting, resting, resting (I'm so bored I've had to take up knitting!) and that's how it's going to be for at least another 3 weeks, maybe longer because of my brittle bones.  After that I'm allowed to try the cross trainer and stationery bike (both of which hurt at the moment) and if they don't hurt anymore I can start on them.  I feel really sluggish and unfit.  And I dread to think what the scales say - luckily I don't own any.  <Phew, good move Tikka!>

So I'm going to have to wait another few months to embark on my running career but I'm trying hard to remain positive and since I don't like the heat anyway look on it as a good thing that I won't have to run in the height of summer (because there will be a summer this year, right?) 

I'm following everyone's progress and you're all doing brilliantly.  Can't wait to be posting that I'm joining you on a plod!

27/04/2008 at 18:47

Tikka

I am sorry to hear your bad news. The one good thing is that now you know, and hopefully you can work towards that plod.

Have you tried massaging with comfrey oil?

27/04/2008 at 21:19
Thanks for the tip, David.  I'm willing to try anything that might help so comfrey oil is on my shopping list for tomorrow (along with a very sexy pair of compression knee socks as recommended by the physio.  Nice.  )

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
181 to 183 of 183 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.