Back to Square One

a beginner all over again

16 messages
15/07/2007 at 14:52
So, after three and a half years of running I am back to square one. I was doing ok then for various reasons stopped attending running club and I gradually got slower. Then I started putting on weight (nearly a stone in the last 18 months) and then the straw that broke the camel's back was the dreadful Lochaber marathon in April which was soul-destroying.

Since that mara in April I've done a 3 mile 'run' in May and one in June and have lost all confidence to go out and run again, which has upset me loads. 2 years ago I was running well and was looking to get into triathlons. But now I'm back at the start. I've trained in Neuro-Linguistic Programming but can't seem to stick to my own positive thinking advice.

However, I met some members of another local running club yesterday who happened to be at the park where I had cycled to, accompanying Fat Face who was running. They were so positive and encourage me to come along and join them, which I will do soon. I've entered Luton Mara relay with Coops and Fat Face and desperately don't want to let them down.

So I'm starting all over again. I've just got back from a 2 mile shuffle (I walked half of it). Anyone else been here? How did you get on and get back to where you once were?

I telling you this because now it's in writing I've no excuse not somehow get off my arse and think positive. It's gonna be hard though - anyone care to join me?

15/07/2007 at 15:47
I can't run at all at the moment Sezz so I can't join you but I can wish you well.

What I wanted to say was, you've already taken the biggest and most important step......you've been out for that first run. You got off your arse today and did it so you can get off your arse the next time and the next and the next.

At some point soon I hope to start again too after a similar time off (early April) so I'll follow your progress with interest.

Good luck babe.
15/07/2007 at 15:49
and (just read the title of the thread agin!) you're not a beginner this time, even though you're starting again you will, this time around, have a lot more knowledge and experience that your time running has given you which you wouldn't have had first time round, that's bound to count for something!
15/07/2007 at 15:55
I had a 3 month lay off in 2005. The way I go back into it was drawing myself up a 10k training plan and sticking following it to the letter, no excuses, no procrastinating. Some days I had to bully myself out the door but I knew I would feel worse if I skived it and good if I did it.

You need lots of achievable short term goals on the way to maybe 1 or 2 longer term goals.

And lots of rewards too. Am sure Fat Face could help you with those ;0p
15/07/2007 at 15:59
Hi Sezz,

I injured my toe in october/november and couldn't run for over six months. I put on a stone and basically had to start from scratch. The first couple of runs were hard work, but it came back very quickly. I have built up gradually to 20-25 mile weeks, and i'm starting to feel a little faster again, and i've lost half of that stone already.

Stick with it, be patient, it will all come back faster than you currently think it will.
15/07/2007 at 16:17
hurt my back in february when i had just been starting to get my 10k time together

so i started from scratch again about a month ago
and it is going ok so far

15/07/2007 at 16:38
Sezz...last year after doing the Great North Run & then the Great Cumbrian Run a few weeks later...I went on holiday/moved house/started an OU degree...and didnt run for six months...not one step!!

I eventually came to realise that what I need in my life is 'balance' rather than 'all or nothing'...so I dug my trainers out and went for a 'tester' run...and managed 20 minutes...slowly!

Since then (mid May or thereabouts)...I have been out 2 or 3 times a week and tried to focus on taking things really easy and slowly build back up...I did 4.1 miles this morning.

I have also registered for the Great Cumbrian Run in October to give me some focus.

I would definitely agree that it comes back faster than you think...keep going...and dont put too much pressure on your self either :-)
15/07/2007 at 17:59
Sezz I'm only 7 weeks back to it after 9 months off studying for a post grad whilst working full time.

I was also getting things together and looking forward to improving for the XC season and a decent 1/2 mara.

Your good friends will continue to encourage you and when you dont feel like going out you will as you wont want to let them down.

Maybe i'll see you at Luton. I made an excuse not to run last year.
15/07/2007 at 18:02
I spent the first 4 months of the year largely on the bench - kept my sanity with weights and spin. Although it is expensive being in a gym it helped me. Good luck.
15/07/2007 at 18:14
Sam, I think it's those rewards that have made me put on so much weight! LOL. And hope everyone's injuries improve very soon.

Anyway, nice to know I'm not the only one. Morgs, you're right, I need to take it slowly. I think I expect to be as good (in my terms) as I was 18 months ago.
17/07/2007 at 13:07
Sezz, hi again! I have been out with a knee injury since the Liverpool Half-mara in March, which I should not have run with my bad knee. I ran the GMR 10k in May on no training at all, and set myself back again. Now my fizz has banned me from running completely for a month, and wants to inspect my knee before giving me the all-clear.

I have been doing cross-training in the gym, including glidex, rowing, spin cycle, weights, yoga, stretching, squats and lunges etc. I have been to a podiatrist, a physio, and now I'm booking in with a chiropractor!

I find it scary and frustrating being unable to do what I love - to run! Sometimes I think I will never get better!! It is much more time-consuming going to the gym, so I struggle to do 3 sessions a week when I used to train for 5 sessions per week. I miss the 'buzz'. I have gained 4 kg.I have had to cancel races where I had already got my race number.

This is new territory for me, and recovering from injury needs the same dedication and positive thinking as say training for a big race. I suppose that it is all part of the sport. Nobody stays injury-free unless they are extremely lucky and well-adapted. For me, the greatest problem is the unknown! Injuries don't follow a time-table!
17/07/2007 at 18:38
Hi Speedy. Injuries are certainly very frustrating and I hope you recover soon.

Luckily it's not an injury that's stopping me running. I really want to run but my confidence has plummeted. When I ran on Sunday I desperatly tried to tell myself that I was doing well, I was out there, it didn't matter how slow I was......but all the positive talking didn't work and I still feel very frustrated. Hopefully will get out this weekend for a run. In the meantime, I'm trying to brush up on my swimming (which is almost as good as my running!!).

Btw, for your knee, check out The Bowen Technique.
17/07/2007 at 18:40
hi sezz

onve a runner always a runner
you will be back to what you were before you know it

youve had a lot on your plate
17/07/2007 at 18:41
What are the negative thoughts Sezz?

Why not write them down, the ones that are interfering with your running, then challenge them with logic at a time when you feel calm. Write down the positive challenges to these thoughts and then, read them before you run and then as you run, each time you have a negative thought replace it with your positive.

07/10/2007 at 00:03

Hi Sezz,

I know how you feel! After really improving and doing quite a bit of racing, I got ill at Christmas from overtraining and couldn't run till July! Running seemed to really knacker me at first so I began cycling- its less of a jump after being sedentary for so long. You're NOT starting at square 1 again though you may find it useful to organise your training as if you were- that way you should improve quicker, not 'burnout' and increase your confidence.

When you're feeling down on yourself during a run, remind yourself why you are doing this- you are making positive steps towards a healthy lifestyle in the long term, you are allowing yourself space to think and gain some perspective, you are appreciating nature (if you do Xcountry like me!) and getting away from the rat race! Whatever you do don't turn it into a chore or just a means of losing weight- run for runnings sake and enjoy discovering what your body can do.

Acceptance and love for yourself precedes change- it's a natural process- you'll soon be a runner again!

Nam
07/10/2007 at 00:15

I injured in June and its taken me til last month to get my leg back in order properly.  I also have put on a stone.  I don't eat crap I just didn't train...  Tried to keep CV fitness up with spin/road bike etc but the running fitness still suffers.  Then in a moment of madness entered a sprint tri and dragged myself through it with virtually no prior training and ended up having a real laugh.  Also gave me some confidence back.  I've been sensible with my rehab and pulled out of two 10ks and one Half Mara I had already entered, but there's no point to ruin all that progress.  My first runs were awful.  I feel much heavier running and its harder work but I know it'll soon drop off again. 

Anyway hope you doing alright Sezz...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.