BAF Rules

Don't want to be caught Cheating

7 messages
11/09/2002 at 18:23
As a relative beginner having done a couple of 10Ks in the last two years and being about to undertake a third I wanted to check something out.

Is there anything in BAF rules that says I can't wear either
a heart rate Monitor;or
a walkman
during a race.

Apologies for not trying to track down the Rules themselves - I guess this is something plenty of people already know.

Thanks.

Dave
11/09/2002 at 21:12
Hi Dave - sorry I can't answer your question, but it really made me think! I'm extremely new to this running game and I recently ran a 5k race whilst happily listening to my walkman - without a even a thought that it may not be allowed!! (although no-one told me otherwise!)

I shall be interested to see the responses - hope you get the answer that you want!

Regards!
Tracey

12/09/2002 at 14:46
The rules state that you can't use a heart rate monitor for races of 10km or under - no mention is made specifically of Walkmans, but i suppose if you had a tape of encouragement playing in your ears it could be classed as 'assistance'!
Ax
06/10/2002 at 21:28
Anyone know if the same applies to spedometers?
07/10/2002 at 14:33
I think they are going to have to re-write the rules with all these new gizmos coming on the market!!
The only mention of electronic distance measurement (speedometers?) i can find in the rule book is for field events - for how far javelins etc are thrown.
07/10/2002 at 15:30
It may be against the rules, but unless you were contending for a top 10 place, I doubt anyone would make an issue of it. I've seen quite a few people using them in races and they don't seem to get puled up for it. Then again, I'm usually at then back!

Ax - I think you should get the prize for the cute-est picture. Awww, sweet.
Ax
07/10/2002 at 18:48
Taken at Warwick Castle a couple months back - the doggy in question belongs to a chirpy little nine-year-old friend of mine who's much cuter than the pup (: (and who incidentally had her birthday last Saturday - we went ice-skating, and I went for a run that same afternoon. Not a sequence of activities I would ever do again! I'm going to have to rest my knee at least a week before I run on it again. Fortunately I also have a bike)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.