Beginer who has come to a brick wall

Beginner

21 to 28 of 28 messages
26/05/2012 at 07:26

Saffy's totally right - if you slow down a bit, you should find you're able to keep going for longer. Don't get hung up on whether your running speed is fast enough to qualify as 'proper' running to other people, the going slower thing is a genuine training strategy. My running partner often questions my slow shuffle on our long runs and is clearly itching to speed up a bit, yet she starts to struggle and slow down at a point where I could keep going for another hour at least. And btw, I'm 2 stone overweight. Extra flab obviously doesn't benefit runners but it's not a total disaster. Just watch any big event and you'll see one or two real chubby looking folk overtaking some real skinnies. I ran a 10K race a couple of weeks ago and saw a very short girl who was easily a size 18 running steadily with the 50 minute pacers at the 8K mark. Good runners come in a variety of body shapes, but if you keep training and watch what you eat, you'll soon see a difference.

26/05/2012 at 07:54

Angela - I used to find that my OH said things that annoyed me, I think he was trying to be helpful but didn't know how. You need to tell him how to support you, the kind of things that you need him to say and do.

for example, when I was doing weightwatchers, everytime I ate something he shouted out 'POINTS' - it really didn't help at all!!

26/05/2012 at 09:08
That's so funny maths chick ....he's the exact same....have u tracked that....makes me want to punch him...I think I'm slowly getting my point across though..I told him I went for a little jog yesterday, in 24 cen. heat, all I got was" that isn't far enough" but I calmly told him ( which I don't usually do) it was enough for me .. End off

after all my replys I feel so so much more confident to carry on ,and we have the half marathon in my town tomorrow so I'm going to go and watch it like "run with dogs" advices to see all the different people who run/ jog
26/05/2012 at 16:07

I am doing the Sheffield one tomorrow Angela - I am overweight and move slowly.

But enjoy watching and cheer people on - it is really appreciated.

27/05/2012 at 20:04
How did u do mathschick today... I had a lot of friends doing it today too
27/05/2012 at 22:21

I suffered in the heat, but made it round in 2:48. Was really glad to finish. Enjoyed it though. Not enough goody bags - there weren't any when I finished and there were still plenty of people behind me. And only large t-shirts left.

Will just have to get quicker if I want to get t-shirts that fit and goody bags!

did you have fun watching the one near you?

13/06/2012 at 17:16
Hi sorry it's been so long since I last wrote... Been very busy with stuff...
I have managed to get back into jogging and enjoying it again...now I do it alone
I've gone back to my original phone app...ease into 5 k..and find this is perfect for me and I feel no pressure to be doing more etc..my own speed is fine. Thanks every one for your tips and advice.
13/06/2012 at 18:48

Angela, I'm in sheffield and run with Activity sheffield on a Thursday evening. We start at graves park (morrisons entrance) at 6.30pm. The group is aimed at getting people into fitnes and is really helpful. I joined them about a year ago when I was running for a maximum of 5 mins at a time, I was / am also a ww member. I know they also do a run on a Tuesday evening that starts at 6pm.

There is also a parkrun in Endcliffe park (hallam park run), one at graves park, and one at concord.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.