Beginner Approaching Well-Earned Mid-Life Crisis Seeks Running Partner in Dunblane

4 messages
22/08/2002 at 11:15
Hello Fellow Runners!

I am an enthusiastic beginner with 2 years running experience based in Dunblane, Scotland. I am almost 40 and have taken to running after 27 years playing basketball and have caught the running bug!

I am looking for a running partner for 2/3 times a week for a 6 mile training run from the Hydro hotel to the cathedral via Kinbuk (6 miles). I am reasonably flexible when I can run regarding am/pm and would prefer Tuesdays and Thursdays.

It is a fairly flat route with a couple of small hills. I usually cover this route in 1 hour 2/3 minutes. My PB for a 10k is currently 0.54.10.

I am, of course, open to other routes and usually do Sherrifmuir for my long Sunday run (8-10 miles).

My ambition is to get below 90 kilo (I currently weigh 102k) and 0.50.00 for the 10k. I am aiming to run the Alloa half-marathon in March 2003. I ran it in 2001 in 2.27.00 and want to go under 2hrs in 2003.

If there is anyone out there in a similar situation, condition and ambitions, please get in touch.

23/08/2002 at 09:24
My wife suggested that this thread heading could lead to a number of interpretations. In order to avoid the commencement of divorce proceedings, could I point out that the mid-life crisis refers to my waistline and not to any other part of my anatomy!

I'll stop now. As they say in politics 'when in a hole, stop digging'....:)

Ratbag    pirate
23/08/2002 at 13:47
As you have had no replies so far, it's possible that there is nobody on the forum from your area.

Have you thought about joining the local running club?

I believe most of them have a beginners section and will be happy to accommodate you.

All the best,

RB
23/08/2002 at 22:45
Thanks for responding Ratbag. I did join a club about a year ago for a few weeks and they were all great people. The only problem was that I was the slowest by a large margin. I was running what felt like a race every training session and it was draining me. Whilst they were very friendly, I felt more than a little embarrassed that they were all so much faster.

My intention is to hit my targets and then rejoin the club.

My wife is a postwoman and tells me that she delivers many Runners Worlds in Dunblane. The readers are out there somewhere!

Tellytubby!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.