beginner expectations

beginner expectations

5 messages
30/10/2004 at 14:28
What beginner expectations can I have as complete novice in my late 20's(male). I have been running for a meer 3 months and doing a couple of different 3 mile routes. My times are slower than when I first started (the runs feel easier though!!), when should I expect to see improvments.
30/10/2004 at 14:50
(The runs feel easier though!!!)

You already have improved
30/10/2004 at 16:02
TAMP is right - you already have.

World peace may take more than a few months of running, though. What are you expecting? ;)

From my very limited experience, it sounds like you need to consider two things: 1) a goal/target, and 2) a running log. Assuming you current have neither, of course.

A goal will give you something to aim for and successful completion of that will in itself show you improvements. From what I've read of others here, regular goals/targets will help you keep that edge and satisfaction.

A running log will allow you to track all aspects of your running and fitness: times over a known route, distance covered in a set time, resting heartrate, average heartrate (for known effort; with an HRM), target training zones, etc. And it will help you increase you training distance safely and ensure you're training efficiently.

There are plenty of resources and articles on this website that will explain all this (and more) in as much or as little technical detail as you like. Or if you want it all in one package, I can recommend Runner's World's own Complete Book of Running (also here and here).
30/10/2004 at 17:22
Go for a goal, maybe a 10K, if your running 3 easy, you will be able to build up to 6 miles over the next few months. Then once you've run your first race, got your t-shirt or medal, you'll be hooked and you'll wonder what life was like before running.
01/11/2004 at 07:31
thanks to all for postings.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.