Beginner Marathon Training Blog

A place for us beginners to chat...

1 to 20 of 3,669 messages
11/01/2005 at 17:15
Ok, I am going to try this out and see if it works!

Me and my mate Dave have just started training for the Belfast Marathon in May. We are marathon beginners and I know that there are hundreds of people out there like us.

So bookmark this thread and come and have a chat - share how your training is going and what you are doing.

Let's help each other through this thing we 'enjoy' so much!

Later,
T.
11/01/2005 at 17:21
This is where it all starts you know. Once-in-a-lifetime challenge: run a marathon and all will be well with the world.

Then you get the bug, and before you know it...........

There are a few of us on "Marathon Nutters Anonymous" who started out just like you. Shades has now run 124 at the last count, and Tim does 24 hour races.

Is it ok if we pop in occasionally? You are more than welcome to pop in and share an energy gel on the other thread any time you like. :o)
11/01/2005 at 17:21
Howdy!

Started training yesterday. 3 miles in 29mins.
It was the first run in a few weeks so the legs were stiff and the lungs were heavy but we got through it ok.

Next run tomorrow.

Later,
Nozza
11/01/2005 at 17:23
Nessie,

Feel free to pop in and see what's happening!
The more the welcome. It is good to hear about you guys - where is your thread?

Anyway, catch up with you later,
Noz
11/01/2005 at 17:26
It's in the beginners section too, usually on the first or second page.

I'm training for the Lochaber marathon in April, and I'm using the RW marathon training plan which is geared towards London, a week earlier.

6 miles on Sunday, as per the schedule, and nothing has fallen off, so that's a good sign!

11/01/2005 at 19:59
I'm training for Rotterdam on the 10th of April. I'm currently on 3 x 6 miles during the week and a long run on Sunday am (last one was 15 miles).
I'm aiming for sub 4hrs and hopefully finish in about 3 1/2 but that might be wishing for too much.
At the moment I'm trawling the net for an HRM to help me make the most of my training.
It will be my first marathon as well so there you go. I'll keep popping back to report on my (lack of) progress.
Goos luck to you!
11/01/2005 at 20:00
Goos = good.

Sorry
11/01/2005 at 20:03

Started training for the London marathon in early December once I got word that I was accepted.
Been out running during the xmas hols and new year.
I’m up to 11miles and going to push it up to 13 this sat, its going to be a real challenge for me to complete the marathon. My target time I hope to get should be under 4hrs.was supposed to go out tonight but its very windy and raining loads.
Richie

Live the dream
11/01/2005 at 21:54
Good luck, I will keep an eye on your progress. I would love to do the Belfast Marathon too, but for the minute I think I will stick to the 10mile walk the same day lol maybe see you there.
12/01/2005 at 08:41
Dave (my running mate) and myself are doing the Runners World schedule - a mix of the sub4 and sub4.5!

As it is our first week, tonight we are due to run 3 miles again at a slightly quicker pace - 8 min/mile. That should push us hard tonight so I don't know if I will be in work tomorrow!!!!

Even after our run on Monday, my legs have that nice "I have been out running" ache in them.

Speak soon,
Nozza
12/01/2005 at 11:06
Hiya
I'm doing my first mara this year - Stratford in April.
Have been running for a year - 1st race was Sutton Lung Run 10K last April. Have done a couple of 1/2 mara's & various other 10k / 10milers.
Had a rest over Xmas but am up to 14mile long runs, finding it quite hard to get past 14miles at the mo as I have sinus problems & an ear infection.
Skipped training last night as my head felt like it was in a bucket of sand!
On antibiotics now so hopefully I'll be doing an 8miler tonight.
Good luck everyone with the training.
RMG
13/01/2005 at 13:38
Rest day for me (I like those!), 6+ miler tomorrow lunchtime with a 15 miler on Sun.
13/01/2005 at 13:43
Did 3 miles last night in 24:50.
Absolutely wrecked after - but felt good!

6 miler tomorrow...same as you Slo'Boy.

Slo'Boy - do you keep your mid week runs all at 6 miles? What sort of times fdo you run for them?

Cheers,
Nozza
13/01/2005 at 13:44
Rossi,

How did the run go the other night?
You still on the antib's?
13/01/2005 at 14:12
Hiya Nozza
No runs yet, head still feels like it's stuck in a bucket of sand!! still on antib's, decongestant, paracetemol. I rattle when I move.
Have the added hassle of selling our house & moving to a new area, ready to exchange & our buyer might be pulling out. All good fun, non stop calls with estate agents while working full time.
Next run will probably be a 10 miler Sat morn, then 14 - 16 miler Sun, then lots of food & stretching to recover...

Good luck with the 6miler tomorrow.

RMG
17/01/2005 at 10:13
Hiya
How did the training go over the weekend?
I did a 10miler Sat & 11 miler Sun.
Probably ruined it all by drinking large amounts of wine last night!!
Sitting in work suffering slightly.....

Plans for this week:
Tues - 8 miles (with 200m sprints)
Thurs - 8 miles steady
Sat - 8 - 10 miles easy
Sun - 14 mile long run (time limit 2hrs 5mins)

RMG
17/01/2005 at 13:55
Rossi,

Did the six miler on Friday - nice and slow.
Although it killed me cos it was quite hilly and ended with a very steep one!!

Meant to go on a light recovery run on Saturday but went shopping instead with my wife - so probably did more than I would have done in the run!!!

Plans for this week:
Monday: 5.5miles of speed work
Wednesday: 3.5 miles
Friday: 7 miles
Sat: Recovery run

Noz.
17/01/2005 at 14:29
hi,
went on a run lst thur night,did 14mile-1hr 41min.felt ok.
Went out for another 14 on sat morning,lst 2miles killed me and my right knee was sore.10 mins slower than thurs.
doing too much too soon,need to chill

shakka
17/01/2005 at 14:48
Ooh, too fast Shakka.

General consensus is that you should do your long training runs at 1 - 1.5 mins/mile slower than race pace.

Unless you are aiming for a sub-2:30, in which case I'll shut up. :o)
17/01/2005 at 14:55
Shaks,

I agree - Sounds like it is too much too soon.
When is your marathon?

Noz.
1 to 20 of 3,669 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.