Beginner to doing a 5km run in 40 mins is that slow

21 to 25 of 25 messages
16/08/2014 at 10:45
CHRISIPOOS wrote (see)

I am a 44 yr old 16 stone bodybuilder, 5 ft 9 with thighs the size of tree trunks and very pleased with my average times of between 28-29 mins on my Saturday morning 5 k parcruns. I come near the back and smile to myself when all those stick insects fly past me and I wonder if they could bench 140 k in the gym like me. 

I'm a bodybuilder like you, Chris. But I must admit I get very jealous when I see those fast runners with those lean bodies., I'm a bit of a lump, big thighs and arms, and I basically only do bodybuilding because I am compensating for my small penis. I wish I was a better runner, but I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with lifting lumps of heavy metal repeatedly! Still, I don't half fancy myself in a mirror.

17/08/2014 at 15:14
Alison McDonald2 wrote (see)

I shall be doing my first ever 5k parkrun tomorrow.  My PT reckons I should be able to complete it 40 minutes.  Wish me luck!

I came in at 31.32   V.pleased! My goal next week is to beat 30mins...

12/06/2016 at 21:44
I started six months ago around 43 - 45 minutes and six months later I am at 35 minutes. I am very pleased with my progress. Hope to go below 30 minutes in the next six months.
13/06/2016 at 00:40

This revived from the dead thread has some truly idiotic posts in it!! But the above comment by Andrew Thomas 34 made it worth the read, fantastic

13/06/2016 at 09:19
Having paced at park runs from times from 20 minutes to 35 minutes, you would be surprised at how many towards the lower end of the times want to go under a certain time. I think it's great they use a time they go under as motivation. Pushing yourself is the same at 20 minutes than 35 minutes. My gripe is the ones who moan at faster runners but then don't push themselves to improve.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.