Beginner to Half Marathon?!

Step too far?

21 to 27 of 27 messages
22/04/2014 at 19:38

Yes, I agree! Soooooooo frustrating! Just want to start my plan  Treated myself to a Garmin Forerunner 210 so I want to get back even more now!

Hope you feel better soon

23/04/2014 at 13:30

Sounds a nice way to treat yourself for when your up to running again

28/04/2014 at 12:07

Hi all!

Still have sinus problems, but I can breathe through my nose now which is a massive improvement! Went for a run this morning, just an 'Easy Run' of 30 mins. As I'm doing the Jeff Galloway R-W-R method, I decided on Run for 3 mins Walk for 1 minute. It was so hard  Its really knocked  my confidence. I know I'm not 100% but this was terrible! The stats from my run aren't too bad (2.17 Miles in 29.27mins) but it was 100% more difficult than I though. I even changed the R/W ratio to Run 2 mins walk 1 min (after about 1.5 miles) but I was getting tired after the first minute of running. 

When does it get easier?!

28/04/2014 at 17:46

Hi Elise,

maybe try building up by walking first, then doing some "fast" walking and see how that goes ? I know when I first started jogging I could only do 50yards or so before I walked so go gently and I'm sure before long it will get easier

30/04/2014 at 14:28
Andrew Morley wrote (see)

Hi Elise,

maybe try building up by walking first, then doing some "fast" walking and see how that goes ? I know when I first started jogging I could only do 50yards or so before I walked so go gently and I'm sure before long it will get easier

Thanks Andrew! It doesn't help that I live on the South Downs and literally there is nowhere flat to run!

Went out for another run today. Covered more distance in a similar time so I was pleased with that
Started with Run 1 Min 30, Walk 1 min but had to move it down to Run 1 Walk 1 about 3/4s of the way through. Still feel like I'm going really slow!

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/542202/gallery/30-04-14.png?width=350

30/04/2014 at 19:28

Thats cool Elise,

gently is the way to start take breaks when you feel you need to by walking, then build it up as you are doing and you'll find before long you've upped the distance quite a bit

01/05/2014 at 09:28

well done Elise. Don't focus on how fast/slow you are, it really doesn't matter

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.