Beginner training during pregnancy

Is there any info about training for a 5k whilst pregnant?

5 messages
17/05/2006 at 16:55
Hi everyone,

I had a quick look around the RW site, but couldn't find any info about training in the first trimester. I've only just started the beginner's plan (for 5k) two weeks ago, so I'm not an experienced runner by any stretch of the imagination. Does anyone know of a good site (here or elsewhere) with information about this? Thanks! :)
17/05/2006 at 17:35
This may not be of any help at all but I was chatting to a lady this weekend who ran through her 2 pregnancies (til the birth) but she had read a fab book (by the chap who suggested 140 max heart rate - apparently they put him on the spot and he just guessed!) which basically said - if you ran b4 preg, keep running but be sensible towards the end, if you didn't run b4 preg - don't take it up during! A fast walk might be better?
18/05/2006 at 08:58
ElleDee - come and look at the Pregnant Runners Club thread over on Health & Injury - there's lots of us (mums and mums-to-be) talking about all sorts of things like this.....

Hegs x
18/05/2006 at 16:26
Thanks, Moot - that sounds sensible to me. I might stick to the run/walk programme and not push the running as hard, in that case.

Hegs, that's great. I'll pop over!
18/05/2006 at 17:49
elledee

i post on the h&i thread that hegs mentioned as well.

the advice is generally that if you have been doing a specific form of training before you got pregnant, it's generally ok to continue (as long as it's not something very dangerous!), but if you aren't used to it, you shouldn't start any new exercise during pregnancy.

so my advice would be to check with your GP or midwife before you start running. even if you are generally fit from aerobics or other exercise, it may not be advisable to start running during pregnancy.

walking should always be fine unless you are told otherwise...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.