Beginners and running clubs

2 messages
29/09/2002 at 10:04
I too am a plodder - I however want to become a faster plodder so took the bull by the horns and went to my local running clubs beginner evening - I have since been back and intend to keep going - I am the slowest one there - I do a shorter route than everyone else with the exception of Wendy who runs with me - she is very patient and encouraging - This week they were pleased to see me back and i felt part of the group - I now have something to aim for - the back of the pack!!!! However we all have to start somewhere - Sandhurst Joggers have made me feel welcome regardless of my speed so for all of you thinking about joining a running club - go on take the plunge its worth it.
I have found such wonderful support on this forum that I have loads of others to thank for the encouragement they have given to me - they made me believe in myself that I could do it too. I am no marathoner yet!!! LOL slowly slowly catchee monkey - a 5km race run all the way round would be a good start - then progress to a 10k what satifaction that would be.
So come you guys stop hesitating and get out there running.

mandy
01/10/2002 at 10:42
I too am a real plodder. I started running in April to train for Race For Life, and did it in 37 mins: really pleasing as my initial goal was to run all the way without stopping/dying. I did the Brambles 5k Fun Run this weekend in 32.30, so I agree, slowly but surely does it. Having progressed from just over 15 minutes a mile when I fist puffed my way onto a pavement to 10.30min miles on average I feel smug, but still slow!
I think Fun Runs attached to bigger races are a great way to get started: less intimidating than being with all those 'real' runners, but still a valid training goal.
Keep on chugging away!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.