Beginners charity race wanted!

begginer seeks advice!

7 messages
12/03/2008 at 12:09

I am a complete beginner when it comes to running – I am very much in the early stages and finding it hard to stay motivated so I thought it might be good to have a goal and run some kind of charity race… Does anyone have an advice on something that I could enter – I live in the Leicestershire area and want something challenging but achievable?

I desperately want to get into running as many of my friends are addicted – yet I am struggling to fit it into my busy schedule and drag myself out of the house. I am of average height and weight for my age and so it really shouldn’t be such a problem. I am a member of a gym and have been trying to run on the treadmill for short spurts about twice a week – however, is it better to run outside?

Any advice would be appreciated!

12/03/2008 at 12:18

I would say definitely better to run outside.

There are the Race for Life events across the country (I wouldn't really call them races), but if you don't fancy a women-only event (and many of us don't), there are a lot of races in the spring and summer, and why limit yourself to a 'charity' race?

Have a look on the events tab at the top - put your location, distance, etc. in, and it will bring up races in your area.

Stump    pirate
12/03/2008 at 12:20

You can collect for charity for any race you do.

My first one was done for Cancer Research. The race had nothing to do with it, we just used the race as an excuse to collect money for the charity.

12/03/2008 at 12:40
Why not support a local event - it will be cheaper to enter - and raise money for a charity at the same time?  I'm from Leicestershire and the first race I ever did was in 2003 when I did the Silverstone Grand Prix 10K.  It's 2 laps of the Grand Prix circuit there.  That's held in May.  It was welcoming to runners of all abilities.  Then a few weeks after that I did the Rothley 10K which is an undulating course but scenic in parts.  Then I joined a club, and did all sorts of local and not so local races. 
13/03/2008 at 11:37

Good luck Holly,

I started running about a year ago and began with the local Race for life, not so much because of the charity aspect but because I could walk to it from my house !

now I am running 10k on a regular basis and what has helped has been the following:

following the beginners schedule from this website (couch to 5k)

finding a friend to run with on a regular basis (helps with motivation because if you dont go you are letting a friend down) we have progressed together and when one of us doesn't feel like it the other encourages and vice versa.

finding races to enter to have a goal to aim for

hope it all goes well

Kate

PS definately run outside , much nicer than a treadmill.

Edited: 13/03/2008 at 11:39
17/03/2008 at 11:20

Hi Holly,

Like you, I'm from Leicester, and have just started jogging around 3 weeks ago.

I'm not suffering from lack of motivation yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the urge to run is outweighed by the urge to spend an extra hour in bed in the morning!

So to try and keep on track., I have entered into a 5k race in Nottingham, organized by the BHF, to be run/jogged/walked at Wollaton Park on 16 April.  Link to the race details here.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/get_involved/take_part_in_our_events/event_display.aspx?e=%09%09%09%093125

Depending on exactly where you are, this could be pretty local for you, and I can vouch for the fact that Wollaton Park is a beautiful place to be.  You may have caught it on the TV this weekend just gone, as they had some junior national championship event going on.

If this doesn't take your fancy, then good luck with finding something else

Cheers

Ian

17/03/2008 at 11:29
Small thing called an Ironman. Its the new RFL apprantly.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.