Beginners Event

The best race for beginners

4 messages
12/09/2003 at 10:15
Hello All,

I am a beginner and live in Wrexham, North Wales. Can someone suggest a good but not too taxing first race.

Thank you
12/09/2003 at 10:50
Hi Emma

You're probably best off looking for a fun run or a local 5K for your first. It's a shame, as you've just missed the Race for Life series.

There is a search for races on this website, or you could look in the Race Listings of Runners' World. I'll have a quick look and see if there's anything local

Het :0)
13/09/2003 at 15:02
I've started running this year in an attempt to get fitter and thinner! My friend and I entered the Race for Life in Leeds and extracted £250 in sponsorship from amazed friends and colleagues who thought their money was safe from 2 40 somethings! We did'nt manage to run the whole distance due to the large numbers and narrow paths, but we have since completed another 5K fun run in Wakefield, this time without stopping! So be encouraged, Emma, if I can do it so can you! I never would have believed it this time last year if someone had told me I would be into exercise, et alone running! Get out there and ENJOY IT!
14/09/2003 at 19:19
Emma

I also only started running this year, 12 weeks ago in fact.

I managed to run in a 5k women's race last Sunday and came 143rd out of 210, so I'm really chuffed with myself.

I also never believed I'd be running at all, never mind getting a time of 34:29 in my first race.

The atmosphere was brilliant, and the distance was definitely the right first one for me to try.

Keep up the good work, and remember to keep posting on here to let us all know how you're doing.

Julie

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.