Beginners first race, what it was like.

1 to 20 of 21 messages
Dustboy    pirate
04/03/2004 at 15:06
Posted this on the bottom of another tail. Anyone worried about their first race, it wasn't that bad.

OK, did the 5K. Stand by to laugh. Actually 2.85 miles. Stayed with my mate all the way round. Finished in 30.31 in 34th out of 35 places. Got well and truly spanked by the 77 year old 2 minutes ahead of me and we beat the octogenarian (82) by about 200 yards. Lucky he didn't have a sprint finish!

HRM average 166, steady 176 towards the end, not remotely breathless at the end but hips a bit sore. Thoroughly enjoyed it, well organised, no pressure, no giggling, exactly what I wanted on my first race.

And as I cant put in much less of a performance, it can only get better.

So there you have it, a beginners first race, the target for which was to get round without stopping.

If you are interested, go to google, type in woking 5k and go to the site. its something like www.villamiller.demon.co.uk or similar. Every 1st Wed in month at 12.30 pm. no cost or charge, loos parking. A very inconspicuous way to start if you are a bit shy like me!!
04/03/2004 at 15:42
Well done Dustboy. I remember my first race here in Spain. It was 9.4Km Once around the village centre then an out and back bit up to a country house.

I chugged away for 48 minutes and finished with my lungs exploding, sweat pouring off me. The last 8Km were murder.

I finished 2nd last in my category with a couple of veteran ladies and a couple of super vets behind. In all, about 285th out of 293.

Still, good fun isn't it? Watch out it's bloody addictive.
04/03/2004 at 16:24
Dustboy, well done mate, got my first race on April 9th! a "friendly" 5k, and I'm expecting to take about 30minutes, I wonder if I can do better than 2nd from last?

You've given me something to aim for!

Steve
--------------------------
www.DiaryofaRunner.Com
Dustboy    pirate
04/03/2004 at 16:46
Which one are you running in?
Dustboy    pirate
04/03/2004 at 16:50
Ignore that, just had a look at the site. If thats a good friday, I might be up for that too. 11 am is a bit early but....

My best time for a full 5K as opposed to 2.85 miles is 30.59
04/03/2004 at 17:22
yep, it is Good Friday! Starts and stops at a pub which is dangerous though! Only a quid to enter, which means more beer money!
05/03/2004 at 10:19
My first road race ,5km, was last year. I would never have entered if my friends had not insisted and dragged me along as I was sure I was not ready. It was in the evening and already at lunchtime I was feeling sick with nerves.

We did it and it was an extremely satisfying experience. Realising that I was capable of doing so much more than I thought.

It takes a lot of courage to stand at that start line for the first time but I don`t think anyone ever regrets it.
05/03/2004 at 11:57
I did my first adult race last year (used to do XC as a teen). I was sooooooo excited and nervous too.

It was a Race for Life, so of course I shouldn't have stressed. I got completely addicted.

A wonderful sort of addiction.
05/03/2004 at 12:13
I did my first race last sunday. Another 5km, though got round in 25.20 and had a good few people behind me which was satisfying! I immediately understood why running can be so addictive, why running outdoors beats a treadmill any day of the week (except maybe the really wet windy ones and the boilingly hot sweaty ones...)! I'm deciding which 10km to enter and when to do it at the moment - have to have a goal to aim for!

I can't wait for the next one!!!

Well done on your run :) Which one is your next one then :D

H x
06/03/2004 at 11:13
Good to see all you first timers enjoying yourselves it is addictive as said earlier and the more you put into it the more you will get out keep going good luck
HET
Took your advice about going to the professionals about my shoes when I had this nasty injury and I am now back in business got back running in the new year after four month lay off first 10k last Sunday 59.39 PB THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO REPLY
aws
06/03/2004 at 13:39
You lot want a laugh?

Look no further.

My first 5k was 42:38 !
The next time I did 38:08 !
Then I did 40:37
and the last one was 42:35 maybe I should make that the last ?

BTW I was last in all those. Surprise ! !

Hee, hee !

06/03/2004 at 17:36
Walkman
Dont give up my mate was 17 stone he could not do 5k in that time last March he has lost 5 stone and just compleated his first Half marathon in 1.52.40 theres hope for everyone keep your chin up
06/03/2004 at 18:41
1st race was Run the World (sport aid)

The one Bob Geldof organised after the success of live aid

Finished in 1 hr 45 minutes
Took one hour to cross startline
And no the time started when i crossed the line
Sting finished race before we started
Packed tubes we were like sardines

Good fun though someone from college (one of the lecturers spotted us on tv

Cars tooting, to the tune of oggie oggie oggie

07/03/2004 at 11:02
My first race was last year, the Knowle and Dorridge Lions 5 mile (2 laps around Knowle).
I knew I was going to be "slow" so I started at the back. I just got to the 1 mile marker and the leaders passed me on their way around for the second lap!! I finished in 59 mins so I was quite happy enough.
This year I am running the race again & hope to beat last years time. I am also running the Great Manchest run in May (10k) and the Great North Run (1/2 marathon).
I have a medical condition which means I struggle with any running at all. As a result my HRM typically reports heart rates at or above 180. The highest I ever let it go is 190 before stopping to walk.
07/03/2004 at 13:13
Well done everyone. I started with a race for life and can recommend the Bexhill Seafront 5K Series (www.bexhillrunners.co.uk) I have the dubious honour of having finished last twice last year but the organisers are very polite!!
I did the Eastbourne Half last Sunday and finished in 2hours 48mins and didn't stop smiling for two days afterwards.
With times like that it can only get better.
10/03/2004 at 15:08
My first race was last Sunday - 10Km, finished in 53 min which was a lot better than I'd hoped for! Never thought I'd be so nervous beforehand, but once I'd got started the adrenalin kicked in and I've really got the bug now! ...only downside is the pain after - how do you ease the aching legs??.. someone recommended a cold bath - not sure I'm that brave though!!
11/03/2004 at 16:34
The London Half Marathon on 7 March was my first ever road race. I was as slow as a tortoise (2h30 min) but I am so proud of myself for finishing !

I am so motivated and excited, how can I keep being so inspired ..
11/03/2004 at 16:35
Any tips would help!
Iron Tractor Boy    pirate
11/03/2004 at 21:03
Nita, have you joined a running club? I have found that my times have improved since joining a club.
Also enter your next races. I have done the reading 1/2 marathon (first half marathon) last sunday and planning for the next race which is a local 10km race.
12/03/2004 at 01:36
Nita,
I started running in 2001 at the GNR and now aim for two half marathons each year to keep me motivated. For example I do the Sheffield Half and then the GNR which are 4-5 months apart. This year will be my 3rd GNR and my third Sheffield. Set yourself realistic goals with the long runs and you might find you enjoy setting yourself the challenges.
1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.