Beginner's guide on treadmill speeds?

1 to 20 of 38 messages
08/02/2011 at 22:50

Hi all,

Today was the first day I jumped in the treadmill in a very long time.  I didn't know what to go by so I just kept pushing the buttons to get the speed up/down to as much as I could take.  I've just found a beginner's plan online and wish to give it a go the next time I'm at the gym.  Just wondering as a beginner what sort of speeds should I be looking at? Just a rough guide really, I can always take it up/bring it down depending on my endurance. I'm thinking for walking something along the lines of 5km/h. How about jogging and running?

08/02/2011 at 22:58

It's difficult to say without knowing you but possibly try between  8.0/9.0 kph for a few minutes and see how you feel.

10.5 kph gives you a 4 hour marathon so its probably a bit speedy to begin with.

Hi btw!

08/02/2011 at 23:02

Just, when you're next in the gym, can you ask someone whether its set to kmph or mph? 

JB's advice is good but if the gym is mph then it might be a bit speedy with those figures!

09/02/2011 at 07:53
Start on 8 km/h ( 5mph). If that seems too slow then push it up slightly on the next running section. You'll soon learn what speed you can cope with. 
09/02/2011 at 10:10
justaddh2ohere wrote (see)

Hi all,

Today was the first day I jumped in the treadmill in a very long time.  I didn't know what to go by so I just kept pushing the buttons to get the speed up/down to as much as I could take.  I've just found a beginner's plan online and wish to give it a go the next time I'm at the gym.  Just wondering as a beginner what sort of speeds should I be looking at? Just a rough guide really, I can always take it up/bring it down depending on my endurance. I'm thinking for walking something along the lines of 5km/h. How about jogging and running?

that is your first mistake....
09/02/2011 at 11:18

For walking warm ups, I go from 5.5 - 6 kph. For intervals, I try to keep the average speed up by doing 6kph, unless I'm working particularly hard and need more of a rest!

8kph is my "cruising" speed, but as I'm trying to get to 10-minute-miling, I'm currently doing 9.6kph, but with walk breaks.

09/02/2011 at 12:45
Thanks for the help! Will give 8 a go next time and tweak from there, I tried jogging at 6.5-7kph but found that a bit sluggish.
13/02/2011 at 22:41
i too have often wondered whether my speed is ok - i run 8mph at the moment i am still a beginners and technically still in training but for 4 weeks i have been stuck on last week of a 5km programme- cant get form 25 mins to 30. i See people at the gym running 9/10- i dont know how they do it. I stared running something like 6 something and have worked it up to 8 . i dont know if this is classed as jogging or running!
14/02/2011 at 11:10

If it feels like running it's running. Don't let any naysayers yell you a speed that suits you is jogging, or that that's a bad thing

justaddh2ohere and mumof2wantstorunrunrun, why don't you try running outdoors when you get a bit of time and the weather's right? Without staring at the treadmill readout all the time you'll more easily find a pace that suits you and manage to keep going for longer without realising it. Good luck!

14/02/2011 at 13:49
HI Mumof2... Are you sure you're in mph? 8mph is very fast for a beginner unless you've already got a high level of fitness. To get up to 30 mins try dropping your speed a bit (especially if it is mph!)
14/02/2011 at 16:01
cb oh i dunno i guess i assumed 8mph...what else could it be- i thought i was slow as everyone runing like 11mph esp the men! I will check today ...if it is 8mph no wonder i cannot get form 25 mins to 30 and i get a stitch!!
23/04/2013 at 09:56

This is probably a silly question, but if my average speed running trail is about 11.30/mi, what speed should I set the treadmill to??

23/04/2013 at 10:37

If you are in a gym, ask a member of staff for advice or just use trial and error.  Start slow and then put speed up incrementally every couple of mins until you are at a speed that you think will be ok for the rest of the run.  If you did the distance too easily, just speed it up next time or go farther.

I find running on a treadmill to be very different to running on the road or trails so don't stick slavishly to your road/trail pace.

23/04/2013 at 10:44

Okay thanks Fergosi. I usually jog about 7.5ish because I am not worried about speed at the moment because I am totally new to running so I am concentrating on my distance.  I usually find this an okay speed, but I slowed down on trail on Sunday (11.30/mi) but I managed to run for longer so thought perhaps my speed was too quick..

Thanks for your advice )

23/04/2013 at 11:22

11m30s for a mile is the same pace as 7m15s for a km

23/04/2013 at 11:37

Thanks very much that is great.

23/04/2013 at 22:42

Don't base your beginners running/jogging on treadmill speed first - base it on effort first which chooses your speed.  As you do more, your spped will increase for the same effort.  You should still be able to have a conversation while doing most of your running (so not gasping for breath) or have your HR at about 70% of max to maximise improving your aerobic fitness - experiment and find your own speed, rather than ask others as everyone is very different.

23/04/2013 at 22:57
mumof2wantstorunrunrun wrote (see)
cb oh i dunno i guess i assumed 8mph...what else could it be- i thought i was slow as everyone runing like 11mph esp the men! I will check today ...if it is 8mph no wonder i cannot get form 25 mins to 30 and i get a stitch!!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is unlikely to be mph - 11 mph is 17.7 Kph - assuming people are running for say ~20 min or so as a run rather than just for 3 or 4 minutes, this would be a *very* fast pace and unsustainable for all but the most advanced runners/semi-pro sportspeople.  I'd certainly be off the back of my treadmill If I tried that speed for more than a couple of minutes it's around 5:45 min/mile!

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 22:58
23/04/2013 at 23:45

mumof2. you are 100% doing kph not mph. most girls at the gym tend to do 8 or 9 kph. at beginner level though its more important to go longer rather than faster. so dont obssess about your speed. you should care more about longer periods of running.

24/04/2013 at 10:28

Which is all very well, but given this thread is over 2 years old and Mumof2 hasn't posted for 16 months, she probably doesn't need our advice any more!

1 to 20 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.