Beginners Races

12 messages
12/12/2006 at 14:28
I am relatively new to running but feel that I am now ready to start participating in some 10km+ races. However, I am slightly put off by the seemingly fast fields and competive edges to many of the events I have seen. Can anyone advise me of any ideal 'beginner friendly' races to start off with? Thanks!
12/12/2006 at 14:41
HI there beginner!

In my opinion, most races are competitive, but that still doesnt detract from the fact that they are generally welcoming to all abilities.

Some of the Cancer charity races I seem to think are particulalry welcoming - MAcmillan I think do a number of 10k races around the country (you dont say where you are based).

You could also try joining a local club as these also normally welcome all abilities...my club has a real range of people from returning mums, more mature runners, pretty fast folk and everything in between. They will have details of races and by making friends it will make entering races seem less daunting with other people around!

What sort of time are you expecting for 10k?? The first one I did had a winning time of 33min, and the last place person came in around 90 minutes i think, but everyone was cheered as they crossed the line!
12/12/2006 at 15:03
Hiya Beginner!
As a "bit of a plodder" I've always been scared of smaller events especially when you tunr up and see al of the "racing whippets" lining up in shorts and vests in all weathers.

Bit none of the races I've been in so far have ever been as scary as I first thought and I've not regretted any.

My first race was the Dewsbury 10k which has a nice mixed field and a great out and back course with lovely marshalls and spectators.

Try something local and if possible run the route beforehand to take away any fears?

Enjoy!
12/12/2006 at 15:14
Hello beginner - how long will you be keeping your name :D
Have a look at the anticipated numbers in each race - the more, the better as there is less chance of coming last when you're in a crowd!
12/12/2006 at 15:26
Have a look on the events page at the 'beginner' friendliness of each race. However I would try and choose something local. If worrying about being last have a look at the results of the previous years race. Mind you haveing come last a number of times there's nothing wrong with it..somebody has to make sure everybody else has finished!

(hi Min!)
14/12/2006 at 08:24
I chose a local 10K for my first event and was very nervous when I turned up for all the same reasons as you (the event incorporated the county championships!).

But the thing to realise is that it doesn't matter - you are doing the event for you, not for them, and not to get a podium place!

I finished about 5th from last - but who cares. The point is that I finished (wasn't sure that I would even when I was 100m from the end) and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. So what that I got lapped - the stewards were wonderful and full of encouragement and they kept me going when I felt like packing in.

So give it a go. I promise that it won't be as bad as you fear.
17/03/2007 at 15:53
hi beginner. i ran my first 10k and thought what am i doing here? with all these wippets , at the start i went near the back so as not to get trampled when the gun went off. i stuck to my training pace and after 8k i was passing some of the wippets ,as my fellow club members said i would and thought i,m not as bad as i thought i was going to be.and then i started to relax and enjoy myself.so do what feels good for you and enjoy the day.at the end of the day how many in your area in your age group can do a 10k like you are doing, good running.
17/03/2007 at 17:04
Hi Beginner :) I entered my first kinda 'official' run in Jan which was a 5k, all the competitive runners who had entered were naturally all encouraged to start near the beginning in groups relating to their projected finish times.

Those running either for charity or just for the fun of taking part congregated behind....I personally found that absolutely fine and enjoyed every minute of it with a good time that I didn't expect. This has encouraged me to enter a 10k in May and another 5k in June.

Start small and work your way up if you that's what you want. I envisage hopefully entering a half-marathon next year, but again, I am doing this for charity and for the fun I get from running :)

Enjoy it :)
18/03/2007 at 18:07
If you are worried about being last, then like people say the big cancer races it's unlikely to happen. On the other hand my experience of one of these type (hydroactive 5k, which isn't actually a cancer race... or 10k+, but...) was that even as one of the slowest folks on this forum it was annoying as hell having to weave past massive crowds going slower than me. In a way being one of the slowest in a smaller field has advantages *g*. Plenty of space to go your own pace...

2 I'd recomend are London Pride 10K (you don't have to be gay to run, just willing to wear a bright pink number... very friendly and relaxed and cream cheese bagels after) and Swindon Half (they have a local walking group takes part, so no worries about being too slow, takes you out onto the downs so some lovely scenery, few spectators but those there are are really enthusiastic)

Both of those are a good few months off.
31/12/2007 at 14:30

Join a club - helps a lot. I waited about 22 years to join my club, should have joined much sooner.

All good clubs will welcome anyone who wants to run (at any speed). We have a Olympic silver medalist and 12 minute a mile plodders, it doesn't matter unless it matters to you.

I have done the "big" race GNR and FLM but much prefer the smaller club runs that aren't well advertised.I recently  did a 10 around Kielder Forest in a field of 73 - I don't know where I came in the field (who cares)

Best bit of advice always start at the back and stay there until you feel confident to start overtaking people - sod everyone else just enjoy yourself.

PS A club vest is a great motivator, great friendly rivalry and support among  clubs and members especially towards newer people

02/01/2008 at 08:16
I agree about joining a club.  When you wear a club vest you will have supporters from the club cheering you on.  I recently came last in a race (I'm usually towards the back anyway) and as I turned towards the finish line, wondering whether I had the energy to make it across the last 200 metres,  I heard my name being shouted out by what seemed like a thousand people.  Actually it was only about 15 other members of my club but I think I got a bigger round of applause when I crossed the finsih line than the guy who came in first.  And the club appreciated it as I made up the last member of the ladies team and scored points for the club.
08/07/2009 at 20:23

i am 21 years of age, i just started running after a 4 year recovery from a car crash (did not break anything). I love running and i started with the 5K begginers schedule found on this website,i can run for up to 3 mintues now without getting tired. However i tend to get ill every time i run, mainly flue and general fatigue. I dont know why this might be and i am not sure how to go about stopping it. I will be thankful for any help.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.