Beginners shoes

Help with buying running shoes

4 messages
29/10/2012 at 15:17

Hi All,

My boyfriend has been training me for the last few weeks in a local woods and around the streets. I have an old pair of trainers which are not suitable but gets me out the door. I'm looking to get a proper pair but blown away by the choice, I need some help with what to get. I did the wet foot test and seem to have an average instep, if that helps? Any suggestions please.....?

29/10/2012 at 16:30

There's probably a few different schools of thought here:

1.  Go to a running shop and get gait analysed and buy a pair of training shoes that they recommend are suitable for you.

2.  Find a website that sells training shoes for someone with a neutral gait (if that's what you mean by 'average instep').

3.  Just choose a pair of training shoes that feel comfy in the shop.

I don't think there's any scientific evidence that option 1 will protect you from injury any more than options 2 or 3; though many folk may have anecdotal evidence that it does; which shouldn't be discounted either.

Personally, I'd just find a pair of trail running shoes (if you're running about the local woods) priced at about £40 to £50 and order one size bigger than your normal shoe size.

You could look for a small mens size in the sale areas of the running shop websites, where they're selling off the end of stock range and only have the small or large sizes left; for example if you're about a size 6, then get a size 7 in the mens; you'll save some pennies and get a bargin.  There's no difference between men's and women's shoes - it's just marketting reasons that they call 'em men's and women's trainers, as far as I know.

Edited: 29/10/2012 at 16:31
29/10/2012 at 17:41

Many thanks Easy.Does.It, sound advice. I went into a sports shop today, looked at all the racks of trainers, gulped and left immediately. I will take your advice and get measured properly. Great idea about buying men's shoes, I'm a 7 should should be in luck  Thanks again! 

29/10/2012 at 18:01
The price of running shoes is shocking :O I got an Everlast pair for ??15 and that was the best price I found. Or if I do find any cheap, good running shoes they are only in a huge size 12 is 13.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.