Best mileage for between marathons?

What do you do?

5 messages
17/02/2010 at 07:49

Hi all,

I've run  2 marathons (Disney 2009 and Goofy Challenge 2010)  and plan to do an autumn one such as Loch Ness in Ocotober. But I'm struggling for motivation to run in between training.

I think I'm quite goal orientated and like having a schedule to follow. What would be the best in between marathon mileage to do for general fitness and  losing some weight?

I jogged Disney because for me it was more about the 'Disney experience' than getting a pb but I'd really like a decent time for my next one.

Would 15 - 20 miles per week be OK or is 25 better?

Cheers

MG

cougie    pirate
17/02/2010 at 08:51
If you're sensible - then the nore miles you can do - then the better your time will be. Why not book some half marathons in before october so you have other goals tp achieve ? And then use one of the training plans here for the last 4 months or so.

I wouldn't think running 15-20 miles a week would prepare you for a marathon properly.
17/02/2010 at 10:52

I run all year round, but I scale back the long runs to 16-18 miles and concentrate on speedwork in between marathons.

So now I am about 50-60 miles a week (my peak is about 65 in a few weeks) and after Blackpool I'll drop back to about 40, but ramp up the intensity. I'll also pick some nice summer 10ks and a half to keep an eye on my times, so I can plan a reasonable target before I start mileage loading for Abingdon in July.

17/02/2010 at 13:17

Thanks for the replies.

Cougie - I'm thinking about the 4 months between now and the beginning of July really. I know the 'maintenance mileage won't prepare me for Loch Ness but I feel like I need a goal. I don't think I'm very good at designing my own plans. I can motivate myself to get out there when it is cold and wet if I'm following a schedule but if I'm not it is just too tempting to just say to myself that I'll do it 'tomorrow'. I really like your half marathon idea though and one of my marathon books has half schedules in so I'll dig out one of those. Cheers.

Curly - I think you're a legend with those miles! I teach so I just wouldn't have the time to do anything like your mileage. PLus being 45 and carrying a couple of extra stones doesn't help either lol! But I'm working on it. Thanks anyway.

17/02/2010 at 13:19
You dont have to do all those miles it was just an example of what I do to put it in context - you'll find the level that suits you

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.