best to pull out of half-marathon?

6 messages
14/07/2007 at 19:10
i had a plan to do the great north run at the end of sept but i think i've left it far too late... i have done some light training so far but then i hurt my ankle, got lazy and feel terrible for it!

there are 11-weeks left to train... do i have a hope in hell's chance or is my best bet to pull out? i can do around 3.5-miles an hour at present, but that's a mixture of running and light jogging. my main concern is not getting round, rather than the speed at which i do so!
14/07/2007 at 19:15
You have time to get up to the distance between now and then - but do you have the will? If you want to do it and can commit to at least three runs a week you'll be up to ten miles before the GNR which should see you round on the day.
14/07/2007 at 19:32
i really do want o do it, but i'm starting to wonder whether it's physically possible for me. the shortest training plan for beginners that i've see is 16-weeks long.

oh, and my first post should have said walking and jogging, not running.
14/07/2007 at 19:38
You can still do it but as Miss Happy mentioned, it will require discipline. Take a week at the time but commit to it and you should be ok
14/07/2007 at 22:46
Hi - I got round my first half marathon on the RW 10 week schedule http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=99 earlier this year. Following the schedule was OK but the event itself was quite painful. So as the others have said, if you really want to do it, go for it but you'll have to stick to some sort of plan. And don't worry about being at the back of the pack, someone's got to be last and in an event like the GNR, they'll be plenty of folk just out for the scenary and spurring each other round. So what if it takes 3 hours?
10/08/2007 at 11:33
Hi

I am running the Great North via ballot. My running partner is desperately looking for either a ballot or charity place and is prepared to pay for it. Is there anyone out there who has a place but knows they will not be able to make it. Help !!!!!!!! I don't know if I can run this by myself!!! Thanks

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.