blocked at one hour

4 messages
06/11/2002 at 13:45
Can anyone help? I started running in June and have progressed to 30mins three times a week in the gym (some hills) and two one hour outdoor runs. I go slower outside (the opposite to what others seem to find!) and do about 10-11 minutes miles I think (running in a park, so not sure of distance). Cardio wise I am loads fitter - do cross trtaining and weights x3 per week - but I find on my outdoor runs that my legs just give out by an hour. I can't seem to push them any further, have tried doing an extra 5 mins, and running without a watch, but no joy. I want to do a half marathon next year and the FLM in 2004, but can't imagine how. Any ideas please......
WildWill    pirate
06/11/2002 at 14:28
The block will be as much psychological as physical so give this a try: -

Run 30 mins + walk 5 +run 30
Run 31 mins + walk 4 +run 30
Run 31 mins + walk 3 +run 31
Run 32 mins + walk 2 +run 31
Run 32 mins + walk 1 +run 32
Run 65

This will take your session immediately to 65 mins but you will only be running 2 x 30 mins until the 6th outing and by then you will realise that you can keep going that extra time

Good luck

Will
06/11/2002 at 19:37
Hi Diana,

Don't despair :) Will's advice is great. I just wanted to mention that this time last year I found it difficult to get beyond an hour, but it just becomes easier as you gain experience, and more miles in your legs. Just keep steadily at it - using Will's suggestion as a way over the immediate difficulty - and I'm quite sure that you'll find everything falling into place :)

Also (and I know this doesn't work for everyone), I find listening to music helps me enormously when I'm running alone. It's just a thought.
06/11/2002 at 22:33
thanks for the encouragment. I have been a bit wary of the run-walk thinking that if I stop to walk I might never get going again! but I'll try it. It's my knees that hurt when I run after a walk break - but then it's my whole legs that give up after an hour so it is definitely something I'll try.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.