Brand new runner looking for companions..

(virtually, of course!)

1 to 20 of 1,040 messages
22/04/2008 at 21:33

Hi there.

I have always been a bit of a 'lardy' and having had breast cancer twice in the last 18 months, I have decided that it is now or never to get exercising!  My brother did the London Marathon for Macmillan during my first bout and I was so inspired again by this year that I did wonder about doing it... *grin*

I am in my first week and have started walking first and am hoping to start running in a couple of weeks and would love to have a group of 'mates' to share the ups and downs with as my bro found this place invaluable..

Anyone in near the same position?

22/04/2008 at 21:38

Well done you for starting out running - there's lots of lovely people on here who give great advice.  I started properly about 10 weeks ago and now running around 4.5 miles (but v v v slowly)

Stick at it - take it slow to start with and soon you will be weeing in the gutter like Paula!

22/04/2008 at 21:42

Thanks for the welcome Kate!  I can't believe you are now running 4.5 miles - Just 'running' seems beyond me at the moment...

22/04/2008 at 21:46
You'd be surprised how far you can get with a bit of patience I suppose!!!!!

I started with 10 minute runs on a treadmill 4 years ago. I'm doing my 16th Half on Sunday.

Take it steady and build up gradually and you'll get to where you want to be!

Good Luck!
22/04/2008 at 21:48

I'd echo what stoxy said - I'm amazed at my progress. 

After being the sterotypical fat kid last to be picked for the team at school (I have terrible nightmares of the school sports day 800m - being made to do it and coming last in the year group in front of the rest of the school) I now finally feel like I've achieved something sporty

22/04/2008 at 21:50

Stoxy - thanks for the encouragement - much appreciated.

Kate - that is EXACTLY how I feel.. I just don't 'see' myself as a runner at all.. more a 'waddler'.

*grin*

22/04/2008 at 21:56
Better a waddler than a couch potato!
22/04/2008 at 21:58

That is true!

22/04/2008 at 22:16

I have been running since jan 1st. At first i was running too fast & could only do a very short distance before my legs gave up & no way whatever i did could i increase my distance. I raised a forum on here to get advice on where i was going wrong. The advice i got from every person who wrote on the forum was SLOW DOWN. I did this & believe me in weeks i am now running 5 miles. So my advice to you is take your time, walk as much as you want & when you start to run just take it very slow & you will be suprised at how quick you improve. Just remember it doesn't matter how fast you go you are still going a lot faster than the couch potatoes. Good luck

22/04/2008 at 22:21
See I told you there were lovely people on here giving lovely advice
22/04/2008 at 22:24

Welcome BS.

Your descripton of school sports could have been me! At least with running you are doing it for yourself and thats all that matters. We all have to start somewhere and our journeys are all different. Ive been running for 18 months and still very slow but hey thats me!

Good luck

Journopig    pirate
23/04/2008 at 12:58

I was always rubbish at all sports at school, and was told by family that I was no good at it. It takes a long time to realise that you can do anything if you put your mind to it - I completed my first half-marathon in March and still can't believe I managed to run the whole thing!

BS, you've done the first - and hardest - step, now just keep going and keep enjoying it. Oh, and try not to  use negative words like waddler or lardy - you're a runner now, keep remembering that!

23/04/2008 at 14:16
Hello and welcome, Just make sure you have got the proper running shoes, it makes a hell of a difference. i too at the start of Feb 08 couldnt run more than 1 min i am now up to 5k in 30 mins and improving every week. Keep at it.    
23/04/2008 at 14:26

Is some encouragement needed?

I went to a very sporty school but my sporting credentials were non-existent.  I spent my 20s building cars and drinking beer but then got into running in my 30s.  Several years on I'm an Ironman and Ultra distance runner................... so be careful, this could take you places you don't expect 

My top tips.............. make sure you've got good running shoes and don't try to do too much too soon as it'll lead to injuries.

23/04/2008 at 19:07

You are all so motivating - thank you!

A couple of questions.. Won't they laugh at me if I walk into a 'proper' sports shop asking for proper shoes? I know that sounds wimpy but the thought of people looking at me going - that poor dear is wasting her time... *gulp*

The second thing is how do you keep tabs on the distance you are walking/running? I have a chest belt and watch to keep tabs on time, but nothing for distance....

Thanks guys - You are so helpful...

23/04/2008 at 19:28

www.mapmyrun.com is a great little site for plotting how far you've run - you can search for other runs in your area and if you use the "hybrid" view it gives you a satellite image as well as the road names.

Just brazen it out in the running shop for shoes - I went just meaning to have a look around but ended up running on the shops's treamill (in the shop's window) wearing the trainers and rolled up skinny jeans with a posh silk top - must have looked a right numpty!   Most running shops will be used to newbies coming in for kit - in fact some can't wait to get their hands on new converts to impart loads of great advice!

23/04/2008 at 22:49

Thanks Kate - what would I do without you?

*smile*

23/04/2008 at 22:51
You are wise Blithespirit - I am of course indispensible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23/04/2008 at 22:52

*agrees hastily as she is a new girl*

23/04/2008 at 23:00
I do mean to get some good running shoes. This may seem stupid but i bought my first pair of running shoes from aldi for £8.99 & they seem to be just right for me. Maybe though if i spent a bit more money on good quality shoes i would see a vast improvement in my training
1 to 20 of 1,040 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.