Breakfast

16 messages
02/02/2007 at 07:58
Been running for a couple of months and I want to change my diet a little. I've recently started eating porridge but do not enjoy it - I've tried adding sugar and more sugar and jam but these don't help too much. What other alternatives for a decent breakfast are there?
02/02/2007 at 09:21
I have Alpen no added sugar, a tiny bit of small dried fruit (from Robert Graves), some pumpkin seeds (ditto) on the top with low fat yoghurt on the top of that. The yoghurt makes it more palatble. I never get hungry after that.
02/02/2007 at 09:44
Porridge made with milk is MUCH nicer (if you are using water). Also, I sometimes add some sultanas to it before cooking it, they plump up and go all juicy.

I also eat Tesco's no added sugar Swiss style meusli (with semi skimmed milk), and there's another one I can't remember the name of (helpful!), also Tesco's, with brazil nuts and bits of dates. It comes in a brown bag.
02/02/2007 at 09:49
well poached eggs are good in moderation, kippers are also good (high in Omega 3)esp with scrambled eggs

Muslei is nice but some can be scarily high in fat and sugar!

02/02/2007 at 11:07
If you add banana half-way through cooking porridge it goes nice & mushy and sweetens it, its delish.

Other thing i add to porridge is summer berries, buy them frozen. Nicer than jam.

02/02/2007 at 12:05
My favourite porridge trick is to add a teaspoon or two of a coffee syrup such as caramel or chocolate.

Normally I make it with skimmed milk and a spoon of sweetner and then top with either apricots or stewed, spiced rhubarb.

The syrup isn't the most healthy of additions so it's a once a week treat, but if I'm off out for a run after breakfast, it's a good boost, plus it makes me work off a few extra calories through the guilt! Or if I'm breakfasting post run, it's a good treat when I've had a hard run.
Pink    pirate
02/02/2007 at 12:05
Ariana, you're the first person I've found who does the banana thing. Everyone I mention it to thinks it sounds revolting - I love it!

:-)

Dorset Cereals muesli is prob the best I've found
02/02/2007 at 12:21
Toasted almond flakes & mixed seeds is another favourite on mine on porridge, doesn't sweeten it but makes it mega tasty.

Another brekkie fav of mine is banana & peanut butter on wholemeal toast, delish. PB is a treat though can't be having it every day.

Pink i've gotten that reaction too oh well they don't know what they're missing :-)

02/02/2007 at 12:28
As you guys are bigging up the banana thing, must try it in the morning!

I second the peanut butter and banana thing although I find it's a bit heavy if I go out running too soon after...or maybe that's just me!
02/02/2007 at 13:11
I'd forgotten about banana in the porridge - definitely worth doing.
02/02/2007 at 14:42
Full English breakfast is about as good as it gets.

Seriously though, a banana and berry smoothie and a poached egg on wholemeal roll is quite a good one.
02/02/2007 at 20:07
David

I had the same thing, i hated porridge, so i used a little more milk and mixed it with banana's. Its not my fav, but spam and egg is off the menu here.

Besides it really helps with long runs :)
19/02/2007 at 10:32
Well I finally got round to trying the porridge and banana thing this morning and I have to say it tasted just like banana custard. It even had the same lumpy texture :o)

Definitely an occassional alternative.
19/02/2007 at 15:22

I find that a really good breakfast that feels much more substantial than it is, and keeps you going for ages, is a small bowl of All Bran with 3-4 tblsps natural yoghurt plus a handful of raisins. Much nicer than with milk, and takes some effort to eat (probably why it feels substantial) and I reckon it might be quite good for you too.
19/02/2007 at 20:39
Don't dare disrespect Porridge!

I always add a tsp of honey, some dried fruit and nuts and a banana. Mush it all up, microwave for three minutes - gorgeous!
19/02/2007 at 20:45
I always add a banana and some sultanas to my porridge mmmmmmmm........porridge

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.