Breakfasts

Very fussy!

1 to 20 of 51 messages
03/01/2010 at 17:37

Hi Guys/Gals,

I recently posted a thread about me loosing 4 stone in 5 months (well, I'll do my best)

I have a query.

Breakfast has always been the hardest meal for me.  I get up for work at 6am everyday, so as I'm sure you can imagine, eating at that time isn't the most pleasant.  My query is different types of HEALTHY breakfasts, what are there?  I don't like porridge at all, textures makes me feel sick, apart from the fact it looks like sick... Im not the biggest fan of cerels either...  In the past I've been eating Asda's own brand Bran Flakes (exactly the same ingredients as Kellogg's, if not better!), but I find them really mundane & boring.  Is there anything I can prepare the night before?  Or something I can make reasonably quick in the mornings...

Thanks alot!

03/01/2010 at 19:00

Same problem...am not as breakfast person.

I suggest boiled eggs and essene bread with a couple of slices of ham or salmon if you like, and a piece of fruit. Easy to prepare /pack the night before.

(Cereals - all of them - are packed with fat, sugar and salt. It's a marketing thing really because they're totally unhealthy)

I usually carry some dark chocolate in my handbag too.

Have a nice breakfast!

03/01/2010 at 19:12

Thanks for your input.

I was thinking of whipping up some boiled eggs tonight whilst making my food for the week.
Not heard of essene bread before, I'll take a look into this as well!

Yeah I agree, I walked down the cereal isle in Asda & to me its just a huge mass of colours and little cartoon characters!

Thanks Pris

03/01/2010 at 19:14
Not all cereals are packed with sugar and salt and very few of them are packed with fat.  Shredded wheat and weetabix are excellent cereals, if you don't like porridge, and Cheerios (much to my surprise) are also pretty good.  Otherwise you could try fruit and yoghurt.  It only take a few moments to chop some fruit into a bowl, or prepare it the night before.  Toast made with whole grain bread is another good option.
03/01/2010 at 19:22
Awesome stuff. 
  • Shredded wheet
  • Cheerios(whole grain)
  • Fruit & Yoghurt
Keep them coming!

Cheers M.ister W
03/01/2010 at 19:25

Friut and yogurht

03/01/2010 at 19:31

How can you not like porridge!!!!, made with water and a handful of frozen berries its like the nectar of the gods!!!!.

I actually go to bed at night looking forward to it.

My missus thinks I am mad, because I've eaten porridge every day (save a few weeks here and there where I've been unable to get it, Egypt etc)

Will never get bored with it

Farnie    pirate
03/01/2010 at 19:31

I was told by an RAF pilot (who wasn't a breakfast person at all) that he always ate yoghurt for breakfast as it was the same coming up as it was going down :-/

Me, I couldn't live without my toast in the morning. and Mr Farnie he loves his beans on toast for breakfast, now even quicker thanks to snap pots (and less washing up)

03/01/2010 at 19:37

Well this is the thing danowot, porridge to me reminds me of warm milk (errrr!!) and just this nasty texture.  Maybe now I'm like 15 years older since the last time I tried it, I'll give it a go again, do you eat it warm or cold?

I love yogurt, so at the moment either that or cheerios is my choice so far!

I would quite happily eat toast/marmite & butter till the day I die, but I know that aint healthy...

03/01/2010 at 19:38

Make it with water, which I do, much nicer if you don't like the creaminess.

Tastes nicer hot too.

Farnie    pirate
03/01/2010 at 19:41

erm, I would've thought toast with marmite was much more healthy than no breakfast

03/01/2010 at 19:46
Weetabix, branflakes or shredded wheat and i add a small handful of dried fruit and chopped nuts!! YUM!
03/01/2010 at 19:49

Yeah i agree its probably healthier than no breakfast but Im looking for something filling & healthy!

I think I might bite my tongue and try some porridge!

I have branflakes here as well, so if the porridge fails, its gonna have to be those!

Thanks for all your replies, once again extremely helpful!

03/01/2010 at 19:59

Guys, I think that RDS was looking for suggestions re a healthy breakfast that is easy to make the night before and not...."conventional".

RDS - Essene bread is sold in health stores all over the UK and to my surprise tastes great too! 

03/01/2010 at 20:06

Porridge made with milk is nasty, I love the stuff but only made with water. Get a bag of rolled oats, it's far cheaper than ready made stuff and I reckon gives a better texture. It's not messy or slow, I use half a cup of oats in the bottom of a wide/deep bowl (it sometimes bubbles up quite a bit in my experience!) add a full cup of boiling water, small pinch of salt optional, stir and microwave for 1minute 10 seconds. Stir again and leave to stand til cool enough to eat! Quick, easy and minimal washing up.

Adding berries is good, I sometimes stick honey in mine, or banana. If you're wanting flavour, get some jam (reduced sugar if you want to) and stir it in, you only need half a teaspoon. Chocolate buttons and golden syrup are favourites as a special treat, also condensed milk although it can be pretty sweet. And only before a long run!

Edited to say, stick it in a tupperware tub/wide neck thermos and take it to work with you! 

Edited: 03/01/2010 at 20:08
03/01/2010 at 20:17

If you want something easy to pack and tasty - how about a sandwich - light on the spread and including some protein.

Also - check out the recipes for breakfast on this site - here

03/01/2010 at 20:51
banana wrote (see)

Get a bag of rolled oats, it's far cheaper than ready made stuff and I reckon gives a better texture.

Tesco value 1kg bags are great.
03/01/2010 at 21:04

I never eat breakfast first thing. I tend to eat it when I get to work. That helps with the "no appetite first thing" problem.

My favourite is a cooked breakfast (beans on toast or egg on toast) but if not available, then a sandwich is a good answer, or I like muesli with a scoop of casein powder.

Pethead    pirate
03/01/2010 at 21:17

Two weetabix, fill the bowl up with Frosted Flakes, add milk and stir - anyone else like this crazy mixture?

One of the few things I find edible early on 

03/01/2010 at 21:20
Weetabix, sugar puffs and cornflakes is nice. Big fan of mixing cereals!
1 to 20 of 51 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.