Breathing problems

6 messages
12/09/2002 at 09:58
Hi, I am very new to running (just managed my first 1.5km this week). Ever since my school days I have always had problems breathing when running. Short sprints are fine but anything longer than 200 meters and I have problems. I don't have any medical problems I just forget to breath. Has anyone got any suggestions.

Thanks , Debbie
12/09/2002 at 12:08
Hi Debbie - others will know masses more than me but I'm finding I have two breathing rhythms. When I'm going sloooowly I take a breath every three footfalls, and when I'm going a bit faster I take a breath every two. I get into whichever rhythm feels comfy, then it becomes automatic.
14/09/2002 at 07:34
Debbie: Something I also found when starting running, is to stay away from walkmans and cd walkmans. The music can put you off when trying to keep a breathing rythm.
14/09/2002 at 07:59
Llyod that is a very interesting point baout walkmans as I use one as I think it will help me be motivated but sometimes its true when I have to concentrate on getting my breathing under control the music is a pain!!
Thanks
15/09/2002 at 15:48
Thanks for the ideas Guys. I've decided to stay away from the walkmans as the whole thing just gets in the way. I have over the past three days tried to keep my breathing even and approximately every two footfalls and it definately appears to help. I managed my first ever 2km this morning and I could have continued.

Debbie
15/09/2002 at 21:09
Well done Debbie. I absolutely love music when I work out but was advised not to run with music, more for safety reasons. So have been running without it and find it better coz I can concentrate on my breathing instead which has improved leaps and bounds. Now I only keep my walkman for the gym where I really need it.

Keep us posted on how you progress.

Sammy :0)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.