Breathing techniques...

I've hit a brick wall

6 messages
28/04/2012 at 21:04
I cannot seem to master my breathing. I feel like I can't get enough oxygen in when I breathe in threw the nose and out through the mouth..but breathing through my mouth the whole time tires my out and I can't get past 6ish miles without pressure on my chest...

Any suggestions as to what to do will be appreciated
29/04/2012 at 11:33
Slow down?
29/04/2012 at 11:56
Agreed. If you can't talk out loud normally during a regular practice (non-race/quality) run, you're going too fast.

It's always a bit painful when you have to take a bit of a "backwards step" in training, believing that you have been making swift progress, but this kind of symptom is your body's way of signalling, "hey! Not ready yet!"
Kryten    pirate
29/04/2012 at 13:35

Yes, be patient.

Its normal to have periods when you plateau for a while and don't see a lot of improvement but if you stick with the training you will soon be moving forward again.

There is no secret to breathing when running, just try to breathe 'normally'.

29/04/2012 at 18:03
Slow down a bit - if that doesn't work there's no shame in taking a walk break after six miles.  After all I'm sure when a lot of us first started, we were taking walk breaks after five minutes.
29/04/2012 at 20:32
Thanks for all the help people, I'll slow down a bit.
Running tomorrow so I'll see how it goes.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.