Breathing

out off breath

1 to 20 of 67 messages
10/01/2003 at 20:57
I have been running for about 8 months and at least 4x a week and I just do not seem to be able to run comfortably due to my breathing technique or lack of it. Can any one give me some tips.
Chris
10/01/2003 at 21:01
Loosen up, relax and enjoy your running!
10/01/2003 at 23:27
Are you running too fast for a start?
We all get out of breath if we run too hard. Do you use a heart monitor as that will give you a better idea of the rate you are running at? By the way, Aldi have got heart monitors in from Jan 23rd for £14.99. Dont know if they are any good but that seems realy cheap - maybe a good bargin for beinners.

Try to find a pace, no matter how slow, where you can breath in rythm to your stride with nice deep comfy breaths. This maybe in on every right footstrike and out on the next one or slower. Just pick your pace. But if you think there is a real physical problem with breathing don't overlook a visit to your GP.

Hope others can help more - all the best.
11/01/2003 at 08:21
Sing a song (in your head!) as you run - helps to get breathing and feet in sync.
Suffolk Punch    pirate
11/01/2003 at 08:43
I don't have any problems regarding getting out of breath unless I'm pushing things, however, I do get attacks of hyperventilation and I have no option but to stop running. This can then last several hours and is very uncomfortable.
11/01/2003 at 11:02
Suffolk P have you seen a doctor as that sounds a bit drastic to me! Pitts, where are you???
BTW what do you push?
Suffolk Punch    pirate
11/01/2003 at 14:20
I've been getting this on and off for about 10 years. Seems to be something to do with food intolerance (esp. caffiene). Yup, I did see a doc and all he did was to prescribe beta blockers, valium and a host of other drugs that are probably far more addictive than heroin, crack and whatever else.

I can live with it.
11/01/2003 at 21:25
My teenage daughter had been running for about 3 years very successfully but suddenly developed dreadfull problems with breathing and chest pains. We purchased Powerbreathe as advertised in RW which, touch wood, has helped her breathing enormously e.g today she finished in the top ten in the Scottish East District XC Championships over 4.4K. I think that it cost £45 from our local running shop with our Club discount - the website is wwww.powerbreathe .co.uk
12/01/2003 at 09:43
Suffolk P, have just re-read and realise am thick. I thought you actually meant pushing things like one of those mad pushchairs or something! Was not being a smartarse. Doh!

I find if I do one of my longer distances sometimes my throat feels like it's closing up and I'm a bit wheezy. I have to really concentrate on gulping big breaths right down. Is this usual, a sign of lack of fitness or am I going to keel over. (happenned yesterday)
12/01/2003 at 12:04
sounds like exercise induced asthma
Get to your GP
12/01/2003 at 12:28
I find I have to run really slowly for about 1 - 2 miles then my breathing seems to settle down. If I am with a group of friends, I can never chat unless we are almost at walking pace. I've been looking at the Powerbreathe machine - I would get one if I thought it would help. I'm also overweight which I suppose doesnt help.
Suffolk Punch    pirate
12/01/2003 at 12:42
HT - Doh!!!

I was tested for asthma at the time it first happened (I actually did collapse and did anyone actually bother to help me??). The airways are quite clear. Apparently it's due to too much oxygen in the system, the immediate cure is to breathe in and out of a brown paper bag to bring down the level of oxygen against the co2 level. You may have heard stories about "panic attacks". It has similar symptoms and can be very uncomfortable especially at high altitude where oxygen in thinner and you're breathing harder as it is.

Maybe I should also point out that I have been a Friday night smoker for nearly twenty years and, of course, this has nothing to do with it!
Suffolk Punch    pirate
12/01/2003 at 12:49
Munchkin, sounds like maybe you're not warming up properly. I find it's not good to start running straight off, even a slow jog, but give myself a good fast-walk warm up for 10 - 15 mins. At the moment I am getting back into running and using a treadmill but making use of other gym facilities before embarking on my treadmill session. I find by the time I'm ready to run I'm nicely warmed up and can start a proper run very quickly, but I'd suffer if I started from cold.
Suffolk Punch    pirate
12/01/2003 at 12:51
HT - do I understand you keeled over yesterday?
12/01/2003 at 17:03
Suff P, no just felt like keeling over, was writing all thick-like. Again.
Just did 4.25m and it happened again. Did wonder if could be linked to fact most running done by very busy roads and am breathing in mainly exhaust fumes?

Benz, will mention to GP next time go in for my never-healing sinus snot thingy! (am one of those people that goes seldom as don't like to bother the busy doc)
12/01/2003 at 17:27
I don't think we realise how much cack we're breathing in most of the time. This summer I was on hols in rural Ireland. Did a great little run on deserted back roads, and was aware that other than cow poo the air smaelt very clean. I realised just how clean when I came around a corner at the top of a hill 100 yards from a cottage. There was a wedding party in the garden having photos done and from that far away I was hit full force by a wall of hairspray fumes and perfume. At home that smell wouldn't even have registered!
Suffolk Punch    pirate
12/01/2003 at 22:09
I can relate to the clean air thing - my folks live in the foothills of the Pyrenees and walking there is - how can I put this without sounding corny? - a breath of fresh air? They don't even have cow poo spoiling things.
13/01/2003 at 14:15
I have this problem too... I have been running for a while now and although I am relatively fit in the gym and can control my breathing- when it comes to running outside, I am out of breath from the minute I start to the minute I stop. The only time I can manage to talk to my boyfriend when we are out running, is when we are going downhill.

I figure that if I persevere and keep running outside it can only get better, but what else can I do?

What does this powerbreathe thingie do?
13/01/2003 at 20:55
Munchkin/Pansie
My daughter was diagnosed as having weak respiratory muscles after she had been examined by a physio & doctor for athletics induced asthma. She was advised to blow up ballons to strengthen chest muscles. Powerbreathe is a bit more sophisticated and a lot more expensive! It is a hand held machine with an adjustable resistance which exercises respiratory muscles and requires the user to take 30 breaths with it in the morning and in the evening. The blurb says that results are noticeable in four weeks and this seems about right in our case - as her breathing problems have eased considerably on Saturday she averaged around 6.5 minute miles for 4.4K on a tough, hilly XC course.
P.S. I'm not on commission from Powerbreathe!!!
14/01/2003 at 14:27
Wee Col,
My breathing is all over the place when I run. It seems that the more I try and get my breathing right (too much thinking about it!) the more problems I have and as a result seem to be prone to very painful stitches. Have had a look at the powerbreathe website and am really tempted -do you think it would be worth a try?
S
1 to 20 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.