Bright red....

a beginners question

21 to 29 of 29 messages
13/09/2002 at 09:36
To go off on a slight tangent,isnt it annoying when you get out of the shower and five minutes later you are sweatier than when you went in.
I should clarify that I am showering alone :-)
13/09/2002 at 09:41
I am so glad I thought I was the only one who suffered from red face,excess sweating and the still sweating after the shower.

I go to the gym after work to avoid looking like I am about to keel over when returning to work but even going home after the gym I get some strange looks on the tube.

13/09/2002 at 09:46
I have found that gradually turning the shower teperature down helps.It would proberbly be easier just to have a cold shower but im far to soft.
13/09/2002 at 11:11
Me too, me too! Can I also joint the red-face club?

Kate - I quite agree, red faces and yellow t-shirts on the 22nd will be a sight to behold. If you're interedted there's a few of us who will try to meet up on the 22nd. I'm going to check the map over the weekend to see if there's some kind of landmark. We're hoping to get round in about 1 hr or so - the more the merrier. Check out the "10 days to go! thread in the Beginners Forum on Monday. Hope to see you on the 22nd!

Go-Slow - I suffer with the same stingy-face thing. Try a smear of Vaseline (sp?). I use it on my eyelids, cheekbones and the line from the side of the nose to the side of the mouth. I find it really helps. It's good in the winter too, when you can get a sore face from the wind, etc.

Happy Shambling!
13/09/2002 at 11:14
Shambler

Would be good to have some people to run with on the 22nd I was running with my mum but she has pulled out ........keep me informed please !!!!!!
13/09/2002 at 21:12
Hi everybody,

can I join please, I'm the same as all of you and I get very red faced during a run. I ran for 50 minutes on the treadmill today and obviously finished sweating like a pig, went and had my shower changed and walked back to work. 30 minutes after finishing my run I'm sitting at my desk still sweating like a pig.................yuk

When I do my long runs outside I use vaseline right across my eyebrows and I find that the sweat runs down the side of my face and not into my eyes.

GFB
13/09/2002 at 21:15
Hey gals and guys, me miss ladybird, no just the red bits not the black spots. I too take ages to cool down. At the moment I'm extremely unfit and tying to get back into the running thing but even when I was very fit (a number of years ago admittedly) I would go scarlet. Is there a medical reason..........!?!?!?
13/09/2002 at 21:41
I get some strange looks after a hard run.Then i look in a mirror and my face is bright red, my hair is standing at ninety degrees to my head, and i have white streaks down my face where the sweat has evaporated.My kids think its hilarious.

I did an evening class in biology this year and i would say it is due to the cappillaries under the skin expanding to allow the extra heat to dissapate.Though i don,t know why it tends to be more apparent in fair skinned people such as myself.
14/09/2002 at 07:17
The sweating in the shower/bath is quite normal - you sweat so that your body can loose excess heat (thru evaporation), if the shower/bath water is hotter than blood temperature sweating will not cool you down, so you carry on sweating after you get out of the shower in order to loose the heat.
It is surprising just how much fluid you can loose in the bath - I take hot baths and routinely 'loose' 1-1.5 kilos each time. That may sound drastic (it's only H2O - ever noticed how thirsty you are after a hot bath?) but it is a handy trick for a dialysis patient...I mean, that's two whole bottles of Stella!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.