Can I mix Football with FLM training?

4 messages
04/10/2002 at 08:59
I have just taken up running and completed my first 10k in 52 minutes this year having been guaranteed a place for the FLM through a charity. My training at the moment is a mix of gym, run, football training / matches and now some dedicated running although I do run about 5k as a warm up whenever I go to the gym. I am aware that I need to increase the amount of endurance running as time progresses towards April. However, I have been told that mixing football training with marathon training is incompatible and I will have to give up football? Has anyone any ideas as to whether this is true, or can give me the benefit of their experience as both a runner and a footballer?
WildWill    pirate
04/10/2002 at 10:00
You are asking for an injury, from footy, that will disrupt your training – its nature of sudden jerky movements and all that

Just my opinion

Will
04/10/2002 at 21:14
Why should it be incompatible? I play football and run (up to half marathon in about 90 minutes) - I am not great at either but running has definitely helped my football. It's fair to say I am only really in the team these days because I am the fittest player even though I am the oldest player by about 8 years. At 34 I am not as sharp as I used to be (which wasn't that sharp) but in stamina terms running has really helped me.

I do find that little niggles picked up from football can stop me running the day after but it is no big deal - I view my football as a form of speed training for running. The biggest problem is that I play SUndays and most races are on SUnday. Plus I generally like to rest up the day before a game which means I have to fit all my running in during the week - which means my long run is regularly done around midnight which does take a bit of self motivation.
04/10/2002 at 22:25
Hi Grant

I'm in the same boat as you although I have yet to get through the ballot for FLM. I have actually delayed the start of my season to enable me to run the Windsor Half, which I did slowly.

I would like to run FLM next year and if I get through the ballot my football season will end at Christmas. I only referee on Sunday and would put my training before my refereeing. At least I shouldn't have any injury problems through being tackled!!!!

GFB

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.