Can only jog for a few seconds

for absolute beginners

21 to 33 of 33 messages
16/04/2012 at 14:42
my first running trainers came from direct sports......herunsherun bit, they were good starter trainers.
20/04/2012 at 09:37
Loved reading this thread. Inspirational, I really really struggle with running but I think i'm learning that its just personal achievement and not to get disheartened when I see other beginners doing so well! Currently I'm jogging for a minute and getting out of breath and then walking, then running... so on! I like your idea of a way of making you walk fast, and I'm definately going to be using that!! Thankyou!
07/05/2012 at 22:19

I loved reading this thread too. It's reassuing to know that there are other people out there having similar problems - we all have our personal struggles which over time we'll overcome - besides we all have to start out somewhere.   Iam three stones overwieght and decided to get my backside into gear once and for all and opt'd for the couch to 5k.   I train on the treadmill as I have a few body insecurities but that's me - and at the moment, the treadmill works for me.  I am on week three at the moment and looking at next weeks schedule (running for 9 mins) fills me with dread but I'll get there....

Oh, I live in Bradford and I got my shoes from sports unlimited.  I had a gait test which is something that I would recommend and they werent that expensive either.  I'd recommend them.    

08/05/2012 at 14:04

This is an awesome thread!

Right now, the thought of me running a mile is actually laughable, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually!

I'm upping my run/walk times today to 2 mins running, 1 min walking! Also going to cycle tomorrow and go swimming on Saturday

09/05/2012 at 13:58
Jade2606 wrote (see)

Right now, the thought of me running a mile is actually laughable, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually!

I'm upping my run/walk times today to 2 mins running, 1 min walking! Also going to cycle tomorrow and go swimming on Saturday

Jade2606 wrote (see)

Yup. That was me, and not very many weeks ago. I ran for 20 minutes in a row on Monday, and have just about stopped grinning!! Seriously, if I can do it, anybody can. (Only 3 stone? I think I may top that, but only for now, LOL).

09/05/2012 at 14:38

I love this thread. It's brilliant. I like you am very overweight but "try"to run.  You've really inspired me.  Keep up the excellent work.

31/05/2012 at 22:10
Hi all. I am currently ar jogging for 8mins at a time but am really really slow and put the treadmill on 5k an hour so can actually walk at the same pace. Is this too slow or ok? There is no way on earth I could get to 8 mins speeding up. I suppose,y question is. Can you be too slow ...???? Appreciate any help on this thanks
01/06/2012 at 13:32

Andrea, 2 things the

first of which are you sure it's set on km and not miles?

the second is if it is km why not try 4 mins at 6 or 7k an hour, then walk for 1 - 2 mins (4 - 5 k an hour) recovery and then go for another 4 mins at the 6 or 7k ?

03/06/2012 at 23:35

Congratulations to all !

03/06/2012 at 23:43
I'm still 3 stone overweight. But managed my first non stop 5k, it really is just a case of keep going. I'm hooked on this silly running lark!

I have to say good gear does help, the more comfortable you are the easier it is not to find excuses to stop or not run,
09/06/2012 at 13:02

bump

13/06/2012 at 17:44
I am human....lol I was the same months ago.. I could only run 30 seconds to start with. I got a phone app called ease into 5k and found this a great help.. My own trainer now I can do 20 mins straight on a good day.. Never ever dreamed I would be able to run.. What a great feeling.. I'm still got 3stone to loose but knowing now I jogg and am making my self fitter helps my journey to getting fab at 50
13/06/2012 at 18:45

Nothing is impossible. Two years ago i started running. I couldnt do more than 15 minutes on the treadmill, and then very slowly.

Next weekend i will be doing the Trionium half marathon of 16 miles, at Ultra level.

Keep on believing, and there will be no limits as to how far you can go.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.