CHOLESTEROL

12 messages
10/10/2004 at 18:42

HAS ANYONE TAKEN THEIR CHOLESTEROL LATELY. MINE IS QUITE HIGH, EVEN THOUGH I EAT A HEALTHY DIET, EXCEPT FOR CHOCOLATE. I HAVE HEARD WHEN YOU START MORE EXCERCISE IT CAN INCREASE.
DRT
10/10/2004 at 22:40
Regular aerobic excercise actually decreases total cholesterol, HDL which is the good cholesterol can increase with excercise. Most of the cholesterol in your body is actually synthesised by the liver. While your diet can help reduce levels, it tends to be only in the order of 10%
10/10/2004 at 22:52
Just had my cholesterol tested for the first time and I'm amazed to find it's OK as I have chocolate every day and live off convenience food!
Diet can't be that crucial if my results are anything to go by. Exercise seems to enable me to get away with eating junk.
10/10/2004 at 22:55
diet makes about 15% of difference

genetics also plays a part
the need for treatment will depend on your other risk fators for heart disease

If you are fine in all other respects, you may not need pills
depends on how high, and other risk factors

oh, and exercise is brilliant
11/10/2004 at 07:17
Having mine tested on Friday.

I try to eat healthily and do lots of exercise so if it's high I don't know what I'll do.

I can't accept that I may have to give up chocolate ;-)
11/04/2010 at 18:18

Hi there, I have been diagnosed with high cholesterol (7.1) even though I do a lot of exercise - well, over the 2.5 hours per week they recommend, including (getting back into) running and weights/machines/core and cross-training.

I have amended my diet like mad in order to avoid medication - cut out almost all sat fat (and I know about benecol, don't like yog drinks, eating lots of oats and other soluble fibre)

The problem I have is that when I'm training hard for something I rely on mars bars, added cheese on stuff, red meat, for my protein and fuelling. Now I can't have those, how am I going to get enough energy for harder training? I am manaing my everyday calorific needs now after a wobbly start, and losing weight/ belly fat but would like to be able to run strong and long as well as potter about for a few miles!

I don't need info on the background to how they changed the "safe" levels of cholesterol and why they shouldn't put everyone on statins etc (I get that all the time) but if anyone has been through this and come out running fast and long, please share tips!

Thanks

Liz

11/04/2010 at 19:30

There are lots of vegan athletes who have enough energy for marathons and Ironman triathlons - you don't need meat and cheese, but as a cheese lover the thought of not having it is really tough.

There are quite a few vegans on this forum so just ask thier advice.

11/04/2010 at 21:41
I don't have any cholesterol problems that I am aware of, but I do find almonds, walnuts and baked soybeans (I know Tesco definitely stock them) are great snacks and sources of energy.

Think all of them are meant to help lower cholesterol as well.
11/04/2010 at 21:59
Liz - you should ask your gp about familial hypercholestremia if your levels are very high and your diet is not bad, I was diagnosed with it after a routine test at the age of 30 showed my cholesterol level was 8.9 and my dr put me on statins immediately. I then stopped taking them for 2 years from 2008 (during pregnancy and b/feeding) and went for a check 3 months ago and was shocked to find that it was higher than ever ... bordering 10!!! So I've had to go back on the statins (and believe me I HATE having to take them). I have always had a very healthy diet and exercise regularly but this has no effect on my levels as it's an inherited condition. I do worry about  the long term effects of statins as I am only 35, but I also worry about having a stroke or heart attack if I don't take them...so it's a bit of a lose-lose situation for me lol If you find something that works, that's non-chemical, please let me know!!!
Edited: 11/04/2010 at 22:00
11/04/2010 at 22:25

My abnormally high cholesterol level (10 ish) turned out to be due to Hypothyroidism - underactive thyroid...  so I was put on statins, as well as thyroxin tablets. Altho my cholesterol level has now dropped to around 4.7 - the doc suggested that I keep taking the statins... so I do....

29/04/2010 at 13:13

Thanks for the input everyone - mine is 7.1 so apparently not high enough for the familial thing and my thyroid, liver and kidney function are all fine (tested as well). I am having the HDL/LDL tested next week, then I will really know what I'm up against. Nurse said with all the exercise I take I have prob got high good cholesterol, but I know I was eating a lot of cakes/biscuits/choc so... we'll see.

Good point re vegan runners and will look out for soy beans!

29/04/2010 at 14:55
I had mine tested last year after my dad had a fairly young heart attack which confirmed a lot of genetic traits. I'm lucky that mine is still at the good level, but it's definitely given me the incentive to carry on exercising and eating healthily as the years notch up.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.