Cleaning running shoes

11 messages
20/01/2009 at 10:23

Is it ok to use a bit of soap to clean running shoes?

Of course, I don't want to ruin them, and I'm happy for them not to look as white and shiny as when they were new - but that dark grey colour the mesh has acquired isn't very appealing either. Using only water, I can get the rubber and plastic bits to a respectable light grey, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the mesh parts.

Would it be ok to thoroughly soak them and leave them in the water for quite long, or would they start smelling?

Thanks!

20/01/2009 at 10:33
scrub them with a bit of light detergent, and then stuff newspaper in them to dry...Not too hot water either, as it'll melt the glue!
20/01/2009 at 12:53
Clean running shoes????  Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question
20/01/2009 at 15:26
i used to put hem through the washing machine but that was when I had cheaper ones. They were generally ok for it but I wouldn't do it with expensive runnign shoes.  
20/01/2009 at 15:28
I was just told to stuff them with newspaper until they dried out (to stop them shrinking too) and then brush any crap off them after that. Don't think they'll ever be white again but clean runners show that you're not trying hard enough.
20/01/2009 at 18:03
If muddy, I'll rinse mine under the tap just to get the mud off the outside, then leave them to dry naturally. And the only reason I do that is to stop dried mud coming off onto the carpet the next time I put them on. Otherwise, I never clean my running shoes!
20/01/2009 at 22:35

Thanks all!

Ok, you have made me see the error of my ways.  Mind you, I'm not normally someone who'd clean more than absolutely necessary, but they were just so incredibly dirty... They were still soaking wet when I got home this evening though, so they'd better hurry up drying before I want to run on Thursday morning. I gather I shouldn't put them too close to the radiator either, right?

21/01/2009 at 21:57
Direct heat's not good, but stuffing with newspaper and putting them under a rad or in other warm place will be ok.
22/01/2009 at 13:27

I do pretty much all trail running so get VERY muddy on most runs.
I just hose (got a pressure attachment) mine off after every run - they are still looking pretty new AND they are mostly bright yellow!

I find protective sprays are worth using too - help the dirt fall off more quickly and protects the shoes too.

04/06/2009 at 21:31

i wash them warm water with a little soap

and i protecet them from direct sunlight or a heater

they were dried  shadow place

04/06/2009 at 21:36
I bash the mud off and leave them to dry. I rather like that worn look

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.