Clubs for beginners/slower runners

16 messages
01/01/2005 at 10:47
Most club sites I go on seem to be for serious/competitive athletes.I live in Bury/Lancashire and would like to join a club.I can run 5-8 miles at 9.30 min/mile pace.Any suggestions?
01/01/2005 at 12:34
thats in no way slow!
any club would be pleased to have you
Gar
01/01/2005 at 14:30
Honestly Barry, Hippo is right - you are not a slow runner. And if you're already running at that speed, then you could probably get even faster by doing speed training and stuff with other club members. Good luck.
01/01/2005 at 15:28
Thanks hippo and Gar.I always considered running clubs to be the preserve of extremely fit (and skinny) runners.I weigh 15.5 stone (6'2 inches) and after looking at various club sites I wasn't at all sure if I would fit in.Are you expected to compete straight away,or would a club help with your training with a possibility of competition later?
A few months ago I weighed 19 stones and could barely manage a mile.Today I ran 5 miles on an undulating course,my time was 41mins 42secs.I am trying to decide wether to join a club now and start running with them in tandem with losing more weight?
Gar
01/01/2005 at 16:16
Well, I'm not a member of a running club myself, so i don't speak from experience, but i think that it probably depends on the club. I guess the best thing would be to contact the clubs in your area and explain that you are relatively new to running etc, the sorts of times you're doing, and see what they say.

I know that it's not the same as joining a club but when I did my first half marathon last year I was very apprehensive and afraid that I would looking really out of place and that people would immediately see that I was a fraud - a bit overweight with no muscle tone and not remotely resembling my image of an athlete. However, lining up next to me and usually overtaking me at speeds that I can only dream of were people of all shapes and sizes. It was great. It showed me that running isn't the preserve of people who look like professional athletes.And anyway, the elite runners are so focused on their performance that I don't think they even notice people like me.

Incidentally, well done you on the weight loss and great strides (excuse the pun)in your fitness!
01/01/2005 at 16:25
remeber barry, you can run with a club a few times before you decide to join them
01/01/2005 at 18:26
Thanks folks!Hippo are you in a club?
01/01/2005 at 19:00
Most clubs would be more than happy with your speeds and in most cases it isn't a case of having to compete either!

In our club, members can choose to attend as many or as few of the training sessions as they want and to compete (or not) whenever they want....
It's a case of opportunity rather than obligation...
02/01/2005 at 12:38
You are not too far from Bolton Harriers at Leverhulme Park,Long Lane,Breightmet,Bolton .There are a variety of groups there to cover everyone -I'm currently in a group which does "speedwork" which stands you in good stead for a 10K when you need a burst of pace. All standards are catered for don't worry.
We currently meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7.00pm till around 8.15pm.The place is being redeveloped presently but you'll be welcome.Ask Nick or Paul who run the group. You could alwats ring Nick beforehad -you'll find his contact details on the events site under Bolton 10K in April -he's the organiser.
02/01/2005 at 13:57
Lo Barry
No, Im not in a club
Im an 11 min miler on a good day, but not a beginner(several marathons and half marathons)
So it would be hard to fit in to a club
There are plenty in the midlands where i live though
Nearly everyone i know who has joined a club has found it beneficial
02/01/2005 at 14:09
Thanks Doc,I'll definately give him a call.I can't help but think that a bit more structure to my running would help.
02/01/2005 at 14:18
I'm just so glad I found these forums. Its so refereshing to read of others who like their plodding but feel a bit put off by some of the quicker runners.

I'm a member of a club but don't go out much as I feel a bit intimidated on account of being pretty slow, I have started helping out with marshalling etc and I do enjoy that- seeing other runners enjoying themslves and encouraging those who have the bottle to run.

It seems daft but one of my resolutions is to get fit enough to go out on a club run with confidence. I train at about 11 to 12 mins, don't compete much but can do 10k in under an hour and my one and only half marathon time was measured on a calender.

I will get out with the club this year and I intend doing some events - just for fun.

Happy New Year
02/01/2005 at 19:55
Hippo.Did i see marathon(s) plural?

Now thats just showing off!!!!!!

Happy New Year
02/01/2005 at 20:26
barry no, i do them slowly only just got sub 5.30(taken 2 years)
Im going for the 100
Gar
03/01/2005 at 12:41
Hippo, I think it's fantastic that you've completed so many already. I'm really excited to do my first in April, and people like you are an inspiration to me. Elite and record-breaking athletes like Paula Radcliffe probably inspire fast runners. But for me, knowing that other people who plod all that way at speeds of 11 and 12 and 13 minutes miles, is what gives me the confidence to believe that I can do this too.

So move over Paula Radcliffe ..., my role model is Plodding Hippo!
03/01/2005 at 21:08
Hippo.Youre going for the 100 what?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.