Complete Beginner

Im such a beginner I have not started yet :)

7 messages
27/04/2009 at 19:12

Good evening all,

I really want to start running to keep in shape and to lose a little weight and to take part in some races (in the future)

I am a 24yr old Male 5'8 and I weigh 12stone. My aim is to get my weight back down to 10-101/2 stone as this is my ideal weight but I also want to keep in shape and feel fit.

I have a local lake thats about 1 mile long that alot of people use for running and its two minutes from my house so its a big incentive on getting started. I do have a few questions I would like to ask and hopefully I can get some advice from you all

Firstly is there any recommended plans that I can start with? I have been looking at getting a HRM Garmin Forerunner 50 with footpod so I can record how I am running and see what my heart rate is doing (any recommended HRM's for this?). And also one thing that I need to ask is.. If I want to burn fat I heard people talking about you need to be in your fat burning zone for your age as in heart rate.. Can I ask how long I should stay in that fat burning zone for? Or do I just keep in that zone until I feel like I can not do it any longer?

I suppose in a way im asking alot of the basics but all advice and tips would be much appreciated. Really looking forward to hearing from you all

Thank You

27/04/2009 at 19:24

If you are intending to use heart rate based training, you'll really need to know your maximum heart rate, not use a thoeretical maximum.

More importantly than any of that is a decent pair of properly fitted running shoes, get yourself to a decent running shop and have them analyse your gait and recommend a pair of shoes for your specific gait.

27/04/2009 at 19:44

My advice would be to not get involved with all the science and numbers. Just run. That's one thing I would  change about my own running at least.

Try the smartcoach link on the training tab at the top of this page for a schedule. And remember to start off slowly or you'll screw your legs up.

Good luck.

Kryten    pirate
27/04/2009 at 19:45

Have a look at this beginners schedule.

You don't need a heart rate monitor (unless you really like gadgets). Instead, until you can run non-stop for 30 minutes you should probably run as slow as possible in order to maximise the amount of time that you can run for. This will maximise your fitness improvement.

Forget about the so called 'fat burning zone', it's complete nonsense. Just concentrate on becoming a better runner; the more you run the more calories you will burn

Good luck!

27/04/2009 at 20:24
Good to know I can not think about the fat burning zone as that was playing on my mind a bit! I would still like to get a HRM and foot pod just to record my progress from the beginning
Edited: 27/04/2009 at 20:24
27/04/2009 at 21:16

While I can understand and appreciate the science behind HR training, like Kryten, I think its a bit of a gimmick TBH.

As far as I am concerned, PE (percieved effort) is just as good a way of training, for losing weight, you can't beat long runs, but obviously, you need to start slowly.

28/04/2009 at 07:27

If you like gadgets, have the spare cash and think you'll use it then go for it.

Personally i'd suggest trying running without the gadgets as already suggested. If running ends up not being for you then you could have wasted your money unless you find another sport you can use the device with. You can use "gmaps pedometer" or any other internet route mapping site to chart the distance you have run. Should be all you need along with a stopwatch. Perhaps a short-hand notebook to record details about runs you have done?

Just get out there and run really. It's all everyone else started by doing. In Jan i couldn't run 200m, i ran 7 miles at the weekend and have put my name into the ballot for next year's London marathon.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.