Couch to 5K support thread

No running buddy? No problem!

21 to 40 of 106 messages
18/12/2012 at 16:31

Back from my holiday and went for my first run last night - was really worried a week off would affect me, but i've still got the running bug. With christmas coming up though my diet is out the window - theres already a continuous supply of cake in work  

18/12/2012 at 18:40
Be strong! Just don't go mad on the booze, you will struggle to run with a hang over.
26/12/2012 at 20:17

Hi Celeste - well done for starting the C25K programme. I started it in May 2011 and in November the same year ran my local half marathon. Unfortunately I've been plagued with a knee injury and haven't been able to run for about 4 months now but I'm keeping everything crossed that I'll be able to start the C25K again next year.

Hi RoadRunner76! Hope your achilles problem isn't anything nasty, glad to hear you managed to beat your knee problem

26/12/2012 at 20:46

Hi NF - I doubt very much if the Achillies issue is anything major - when it comes on, it's a very slight soreness - definitely nothing that makes me think something's about to go 'ping'.  It's been almost non existent recently: the only time its come on was when I pushed the limit a bit and went 10k for the first time in over a year the other day and unlike before, it pretty much went away when I went home and had a nice long soak.

The knee issue is almost non existent now, I get the odd 'notification' from it every now and then but nothing major: no stiffness or anything like that.  It was always going to be that knee that would give trouble, as it had been not quite right for many years before I started running.  Perhaps I should've been using a knee support from the very start?  There's been barely a whisper from the other knee - which has never been problematic outside of running either.

Congrats to everyone who's decided to embark upon the C25k, regardless of whether you've just started or are rehabbing after injury.   As the man said 'Keep On Running'.

Edited: 26/12/2012 at 20:46
26/12/2012 at 22:26
I did couch to 5k about 18 months ago (as an asthmatic non runner doing it on my own) and I haven't looked back. I did my first 10k after about 6 months and in 2012 did 3 of those and my first HM in October.

As someone who runs on their own I know how hard it is to go out sometimes- my tips would be to go first thing if you can as you are less likely to have something crop up. If you have to go after work have your running stuff out and make it a challenge to get out the house again asap- if the weather is horrid make sure you have a treat when you get home e.g. the promise of a long hot bath or a glass of wine- some of my best runs have been in awful weather because it makes you extra smug.

Do you have been parkrun near you? Once you are at 5k it's a great way to monitor your progress and get involved in a running community.
26/12/2012 at 22:55
How do you motivate yourself to get up and do it first thing - I can't bring myself to get out of bed !
26/12/2012 at 23:11
Remember folks, you are not on your own, there will always be loads of support on here! And I reckon thatyou could also find a runnong partner locally, I would always go for a run witj a newbie if asked.....
28/12/2012 at 21:50
Evening all! New here. I was trying to find a newbies thread and I reckon this is it.

Just downloaded the c25k app onto my phone and looking toward to getting out the door on January 3rd for my first run!
29/12/2012 at 14:16
Hi runningbella, welcome aboard!
29/12/2012 at 23:24
Thank you! Looking around for inspiration, with a few days still before I get going. Really looking forward to it now!
30/12/2012 at 00:17
Set your self goals and a few rewards along the way.....
It depends on what you want to achieve, a new pair of shorys when you run a mile in less than 10 minutes, new socks when you can run for 30 minutes, pair of trainers when you loose a stone, that sort of thing.....
01/01/2013 at 10:09

Hey, I agree with Scott, set yourself little rewards along your journey.

I completed teh C25K back in June 2012 and rewarded myself with a new pair of jeans and some new tshirts as my newly toned up figure meant my existing wardrobe had got loose.  I also promised myself a running watch if I kept the running up for 6 months so in November, I bought myself a Garmin 110.

It is great motivation if you know you'll get a reward at the end or at specific milestones.

SHB
01/01/2013 at 16:21

Hello all - I've just started C25K as well. Looking forward to getting back into running again without injury and feeling that long missed high

01/01/2013 at 21:39
Hi All,

I've just started running again in the last couple om months having done nothing for the last couple of years.

I decided to enter Manchester 10k to have something to aim for, and then persuaded almost 20 work colleagues to enter as well and decided to run for charity to make sure I didn't pull out!!!

Been doing a lot of interval training and recently got up to 8k, but as soon as I try to run any kind of distance without stopping it seems to fall apart - I went out tonight and only did 3.5 k but had to slow to a walk twice. Not sure if it's a psychological thing or if I've just conditioned my body to stopping & starting. It's not a massive problem to be honest, but if anyone's got any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing how everyone else is getting on
02/01/2013 at 15:16
It's so good to hear the success stories on this thread! I'm on session two of my C25K and it's fabulous motivation to read that some of you were running 10Ks within a year of starting yours, thanks!
03/01/2013 at 12:30

Hi all - I'm on week one of C25K, its good to know i'm not alone  I'm hoping that i stay motivated when i go back to work next week and start 'running' in the evening.

Good luck to everyone else !

03/01/2013 at 12:58

Chris: Keep it slow, very slow as your building up the miles. Should be able to hold a conversation with no problems. If that means just above walking pace, so be it. My first efforts at non-stop 5k resulted in 12/13 minute miles (walking pace or someone my age it 15m/m.

Good luck folks, there are a lot of people on here who started with c25k. Worked for me.

Keep the goals small: get out for next run, finish it, finish week... Make a mile, 1.5 mile, 3 miles... Remember that by the time you get to week 8 the first week will seem so easy it's silly. The progress you can make is amazing, enjoy it.

Oh, I run on my own (because I enjoy it). And the rain (makes me feel 'ard)...

03/01/2013 at 13:22

Hi

I'm a newbie!

I downloaded c25k about 11 weeks ago.. I got to the end of week 8, then it was christmas... and then I had a cold and felt rubbish.  I went out last night with the intention of doing about 20mins and i failed at 15mins    I'm hoping my next run tomorrow will be better and this is just a 'blip'

Bit of background...

I'm 5ft 2"  35yrs old  and I weighed 18st 1lb at the end of september, I'm now 16st 7lb.   so the weight is coming off  (you are the first people i have confessed my actual weight too!) I've set a personal target to lose 4st so I am getting there.   I feel a bit self consious about running as I have a 'belly'   is there any advise you can give me to help get rid of the belly?   my legs are starting to look quite nice.. well for a fat person anyway..   

I would eventually like to enter a 10k race.. but rather nervous about it cos I'd be the token 'fat' person! 

Thanks for reading!

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 13:23
03/01/2013 at 13:46

Hi karen.

Well done on your progress so far. Hardest part was starting and your well on the way to becoming a seasoned runner now . Hopefully the progress you've made so far will spur you on further. Unfortunately (as im sure you're aware) there's no overnight fix for getting rid of the bits on us we dont want other than to keep doing what your doing.

l did read somewhere that if you can manage 4 sessions of exercise a week that is suppossed to work wonders. 3 is great but it's the magic 4th that really does blast away the extra pounds.

As for the self concsious image you have of yourself when you run, l've not used them myself as luckily i've never needed to but what about using them tight fitting under garments a lot of women wear on nights out now?

Dont know what they would be like for running in in terms of how restrictive they are but it's something to consider l guess for a few months until you have a bit more self confidence.

My guess is come the summer you'll be in a nice bikini by then anyway

03/01/2013 at 14:20
Aww thanks Gareth...

I'm guessing doing an extra run a week wont kill me! It is rather addictive this running malarky! Thank goodness for the dark nights!

Off to dig out my spanxs!!!
21 to 40 of 106 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.